Need Repair Help

glenn_reid

My air system works, but has a constant leak that is coming from the part pictured. It's not a slow leak, it's almost as though a fitting is missing, but there's no threading on the hole the air is coming out of.

I was thinking I would just replace this part, but I can't seem to locate one like it. Does anybody know what it is, exactly, and what a suitable replacement might be? It's on the back of the cab and the trailer supply lines (red/blue) come out the top. I think it's a tractor protection valve but I'm not exactly sure what all the in/out lines are so I want to replace it with the exact same valve, if possible, or else I need to learn a lot more about air brakes and know exactly what I'm doing, which will take a lot longer!

Thanks,

Glenn Reid

post-1959-127145945195_thumb.jpg

Make sure that the glad hands ant connected together. Then if it still leaks then replace it. i have heard those valves are hard to find but can not beleive that is is not some were. It is a tractor protection valve.There is a later valve that can be used but that means some more replumbing and a different valve in the dash.

glenn akers

Make sure that the glad hands ant connected together. Then if it still leaks then replace it. i have heard those valves are hard to find but can not beleive that is is not some were. It is a tractor protection valve.There is a later valve that can be used but that means some more replumbing and a different valve in the dash.

Hi Glenn, it is a TP-2 and is obsolete since about 1981. There are always some on ebay however. They are common to leak from the bleeder hole.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

That valve is called the tractor protection valve. It cuts the service line (blue) in case of a trailer break away so you can still safely stop the tractor.

The valve should be able to be replaced with a Bendix TP-3DC.

The three lines toward the bottom are as follows:

Two come from the foot pedal primary and secondary circuits.

The Third line is the air supply line that is fed from the red trailer supply knob in the cab.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!