Anyone Recognize This R-Model?

Please see attached pics

Just wondering if anyone recognizes this truck. I saw the truck on the East Coast (NJ/NY/CT/Eastern PA) in the late 70's. Never got to speak the driver/owner and just wanted some info. on the truck. In my opinion, this is what a truck should look like. (Old school) Not like some of the 'Creations' from the 'Mafia'.

Just wanted to know who owned/owns it, where it ended up being, whether or not it is still working...general history of the truck.

Thanks,

Mark

post-5836-127103306146_thumb.jpg

post-5836-127103306793_thumb.jpg

post-5836-12710330766_thumb.jpg

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

It is most unfortunate that truck is no longer with us. It was the third and final RL755LST built featuring a 1693TA Caterpillar engine. It was ordered, owned, and operated by Bob Eckstein who hauled steel out of the Chicago area and who invented the truck APU.

Remnants of the truck were being sold off a piece at a time in the late 1990's at different truck shows. Although I never did see the truck, I do know quite a bit about it.

Attached is another photo of it from 1983 in Overdrive Magazine.

Rob

post-78-127104247528_thumb.jpg

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

It is most unfortunate that truck is no longer with us. It was the third and final RL755LST built featuring a 1693TA Caterpillar engine. It was ordered, owned, and operated by Bob Eckstein who hauled steel out of the Chicago area and who invented the truck APU.

Remnants of the truck were being sold off a piece at a time in the late 1990's at different truck shows. Although I never did see the truck, I do know quite a bit about it.

Rob

That is unfortunate,this was a great looking truck. i saw the truck at several truck shows, and then eventually on the road. I was also unaware of the APU connection. And as far as the steel hauling,every time i saw the truck,it was pulling a van,but who knows?...anyway, thanks for the info and reply!....mark

That is unfortunate,this was a great looking truck. i saw the truck at several truck shows, and then eventually on the road. I was also unaware of the APU connection. And as far as the steel hauling,every time i saw the truck,it was pulling a van,but who knows?...anyway, thanks for the info and reply!....mark

I know more of the truck than the jobs it performed. I was told by a couple different parties that it's purpose was flats with structural steel hauling. Your rememberance of a van type container I have no knowlege of.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I know more of the truck than the jobs it performed. I was told by a couple different parties that it's purpose was flats with structural steel hauling. Your rememberance of a van type container I have no knowlege of.

Rob

Thats's all i was concerned with as well,(the truck) i was suprized to learn that it was cat-powered however. now that i remember, the tractor did have a headache rack/cabguard, so i would'nt be at all suprized to learn it pulled a flatbed. I just REALLY took a shine to the "look" of this tractor, everytime i saw it, it was meticulously clean, sounded great, seemed like the driver/owner took a great deal of pride in his ride!.....i'm a big fan of the classic look in a truck,not at all what we see on the road and at shows, (too much b.s. for my liking)..if i were to build a tractor from scratch,it would look a lot like this one! again,thanks so much for the in-put,its greatly appreacieated! mark

Thats's all i was concerned with as well,(the truck) i was suprized to learn that it was cat-powered however. now that i remember, the tractor did have a headache rack/cabguard, so i would'nt be at all suprized to learn it pulled a flatbed. I just REALLY took a shine to the "look" of this tractor, everytime i saw it, it was meticulously clean, sounded great, seemed like the driver/owner took a great deal of pride in his ride!.....i'm a big fan of the classic look in a truck,not at all what we see on the road and at shows, (too much b.s. for my liking)..if i were to build a tractor from scratch,it would look a lot like this one! again,thanks so much for the in-put,its greatly appreacieated! mark

The truck photos you have are not with the original sleeper to that truck. It had a Rest Rite originally. What your photos show is a Double Eagle which is about twice the size and I'd bet much nicer.

Rob

If I recall, someone has pictures of that truck or knows who/where it is. Totally agree....very "truckly" and tastefully done.

Have gotten some replies from rob, who knows quite a bit of the trucks history,i REALLY like this tractor as well! classic good looks,it sounded great! i'm not a big fan of the "custom" trucks we see today at shows and on the road, if i were to build a trator from scratch, it would look a lot like this! thanks for the reply! mark

The truck photos you have are not with the original sleeper to that truck. It had a Rest Rite originally. What your photos show is a Double Eagle which is about twice the size and I'd bet much nicer.

Rob

You are right, if you look closely in the 1st photo, it is still the original 36" rest rite,the later photo's show the double eagle, as memory serves,it was trimmed to match the interior of the cab (believe it was the deluxe western interior) in the oxblood color...mark

Rob

Rob,was there an article about the truck in overdrive as well? if so, i would sure like to read it. I went back through my copies of overdrive, but could not find the picture or anything else. I actually dont have many of the newer issues,as i pretty much stopped getting it when mike parkhurst sold out......mark

Rob,was there an article about the truck in overdrive as well? if so, i would sure like to read it. I went back through my copies of overdrive, but could not find the picture or anything else. I actually dont have many of the newer issues,as i pretty much stopped getting it when mike parkhurst sold out......mark

I've never seen the writeup myself, just portions of it. It was in late 1982, to early 1983 if memory serves the writeup was printed.

Rob