Stemco Wheel Bearing Adjustment Procedure

mackcl96

• 3 weeks later...

This is the support topic for the BMT Wiki Article: Stemco Wheel Bearing Adjustment Procedure. Please post here if you have any questions or feedback. You may also comment on the article at the link below.

Click here to view the article: http://www.bigmacktr...ials&article=54

Well thanx for the post!I aint never adjusted a wheel that way in 35 years of truck work But if thats a proper way then fine.

Well thanx for the post!I aint never adjusted a wheel that way in 35 years of truck work But if thats a proper way then fine.

That's What Stemco says :thumb: Didn't know they made bearings :lol:

For me,,,, I'm always second guessing myself (tight, too tight, to loose did the race seat,)spin the hub a 100 times.

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

That is a very good fool pruff way if you follow that way of addjucting. Most of us know a taper brg needs some perload but too much is bad. What is too much to one guy may not be too much to some one else.How would you tell some one in person or in a manual to not tighten too much?So some axle makers say to end up with .005 of end play. That is not too lose to hurt any thing and does give a way of telling some one how to check it. You cant feel too tight so they say leave it loose some so you can feel it.Then as a man gets some wheel brg setting behind him then he can do it the way he wants as long as a brg dont burn or a wheel dont come off.I have seen this in two different axle maker schools in the past.I dont use a indictor but after 40 years of setting brgs my way i think that is a good way for a student to start out with out some one standing over his shoulder. glenn

glenn akers