Loose Wheel Bearings

maybe someone out there can shed some light on this issue!? I have a 99 CH 613, I have been blowing wheel seals on my steer axle. I even use Stemco seals with the built in wear sleeve. When I take the hub cap off and go to remove the nut to the bearing, I find that the nut is loose. I dont know if the problem is with the spindle or not. A guy told me to replace the nut and washers this may correct the problem. Can the problem be that easy or should I just look into spindle replacement/repair??

maybe someone out there can shed some light on this issue!? I have a 99 CH 613, I have been blowing wheel seals on my steer axle. I even use Stemco seals with the built in wear sleeve. When I take the hub cap off and go to remove the nut to the bearing, I find that the nut is loose. I dont know if the problem is with the spindle or not. A guy told me to replace the nut and washers this may correct the problem. Can the problem be that easy or should I just look into spindle replacement/repair??

Assuming the spindle is in good condition I would suggest using replacing all of your fastening hardware with a Stemco Pro-Torq nut. They are nearly idiot proof and will get your bearing endplay to .001. I took over a large fleet maintenance program years ago and we were having bearing problems on our trailers. All of the guys were doing the TMC bearing adjustment guidelines, but were not getting the proper bearing endplay. We went to the Pro-Torq nut on all future teardowns, packed the bearings with synthetic grease and the problem was gone.

Assuming the spindle is in good condition I would suggest using replacing all of your fastening hardware with a Stemco Pro-Torq nut. They are nearly idiot proof and will get your bearing endplay to .001. I took over a large fleet maintenance program years ago and we were having bearing problems on our trailers. All of the guys were doing the TMC bearing adjustment guidelines, but were not getting the proper bearing endplay. We went to the Pro-Torq nut on all future teardowns, packed the bearings with synthetic grease and the problem was gone.

Thanks for the advice. The next time the seal blows and I take it apart, I will replace the hardware as you suggested!!

I see your user name and am currious, when were you in the Corps???

I will agree big time on that.It is hard for some guys to set the wheel nuts for some reason.That is the reason Meritor come out with the one nut with a self lock.

glenn akers

Thanks for the advice. The next time the seal blows and I take it apart, I will replace the hardware as you suggested!!

I see your user name and am currious, when were you in the Corps???

1977-1981 - mostly drove M123 lowboy rigs and wreckers - did 3 years at Lejeune, 1 in Okinawa.

• 5 months later...