Considering A Trade

Double L

I'm currently going for management right now. I'm seriously thinking about going for a trade in diesel mechanics since it's in demand. Anyone can manage a company but not everyone can work on a diesel engine. I guess it isn't too late for me to consider changing majors but I would have to move which is the downside to it.

Anyone can work on one, but not everyone can make one work...

What school are you looking at? My brother went to ICC in Peoria, IL. Couple friends have gone to Nashville, TN and Chicago...those two being the same school, if I remember right.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Anyone can work on one, but not everyone can make one work...

What school are you looking at? My brother went to ICC in Peoria, IL. Couple friends have gone to Nashville, TN and Chicago...those two being the same school, if I remember right.

If I had to choose where to go I would go to UTI for one it's closer to home (4 hours) and it's a shorter program like 45 weeks. It's 57 weeks long if I was to do the Cummins or Daimler Truck North America elective. This way I wouldn't have to change my driver's license and I can still keep my CDL permit.

If I had to choose where to go I would go to UTI for one it's closer to home (4 hours) and it's a shorter program like 45 weeks. It's 57 weeks long if I was to do the Cummins or Daimler Truck North America elective. This way I wouldn't have to change my driver's license and I can still keep my CDL permit.

You shouldn't have to change your drivers license for mechanics school no matter WHERE you go. Keep your legal address at your mom's. It is only a "temporary" move while you are in school, and NO state requires you to change your license while seeking higher education. As long as you can still receive mail at the address on your license, you are OK.

Go to the best school (the one with the best reputation within the industry for turning out students who know what they are doing) that you can afford to go to. Take as many electives as you can (even if it adds time to your education), getting certified to work on the widest variety of equipment the school allows. You don't want to limit who you can work for or what you can work on by only focusing on one particular brand...and you'll have the rest of your life to work. Especially with the job market as tight as it is right now, the more you can do, the more valuable you become to any potential employer. For example, if you are Detroit Diesel certified, but not Cummins, Cat, Mack, of V*lv*....and a company has Detroits and Cummins with a few leftover Cats...they are going to be looking for a mechanic who can work on ALL of their trucks, not just SOME of them. If you are limited in your certifications and competing for the job against someone certified in ALL of them, you likely won't get the job. Companies don't want to hire 3 mechanics who can only work on 1/3 of their equipment...it is more cost efficient for them to hire 1 or 2 mechanics who can work on ALL of their equipment....and it's cheaper for them to hire someone who already holds the certifications than it is for them to send you off to get certified.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

They say you'll learn to work on them on all. Once you work on one brand you can work on them all right consider they are all the same but "different" in a way. They also prepare you for the ASE testing so you can be ASE certified. I told my mom and she said she has to digest it first and said "I thought you wanted to drive a truck?" :lol: Ugh I do but I also want to be able to work on them as well because honestly I rather work with my hands even though as a kid growing up I never really wanted to get dirty but now I do. :lol:

First-Not anyone can manage a company. Too much theory, not enough reality.

Second-look into heavy equipment as an additional. If you can work on trucks and HE, many companies would be interested

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Second-look into heavy equipment as an additional. If you can work on trucks and HE, many companies would be interested

You know what I meant, anyone can start a company but not many can manage them well. Especially trucking as you can tell by all the chromemobile's for sale.

There's some dough to be made in the heavy equipment end and also on the agriculture too.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg