Pinion Seal Change

Gambi80

pull the U joint out to get the drive shaft off the yoke. Undue the large bolt that holds the yoke to the splines of the diffs input shaft.undue the bolts that hold the seal/cover on the housing. when the cover is off you can remove and replace the seal. if the input shaft is worn where the seal rides a speedy sleave can be used.

Trent

Hey thanks!

That almost sounds too simple though. lol Any special torque ratings on the bolts..??

I had the small drive shaft off in the spring of '09, due to a failed u-joint. I should've just replaced it then, dammit...but I didn't because "it wasn't THAT bad"...I told myself...

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

I did the front diff input and the rear diff input seals last summer longest part of the job was getting the drive shaft off the yoke. If you have one of the newer style yokes where the caps just unbolt and come off them the drive shaft will basicly fall out. It should take no longer than an hour if all goes as planned and the drive shaft comes out easy. I recall the torq settings being tight but not to tight :P

and this is all noted on mack diffs by the way. not sure what the off breed process is. oh and have fun working around the 5th wheel !!!! :pat:

Trent

It was late last spring/early summer when I had that drive shaft out...never fails, it was on the hottest couple days of the year. I'm a short skinny white guy, I can sit on the floor and be able to work up in there with not much room...life is grand...

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Unless the newer style rears are different I had to use "jack bolts" to remove the seal carrier on my R795 with Mack rears. There are two threaded holes opposite one another and once you had the yoke off of it's splines, and the perimeter bolts out of the seal carrier, you threaded the jack bolts into the holes and evenly tightened them forcing the seal carrier out of the housing. Not hard to do and I pulled the carrier back in with a little longer at first bolts, then finished and torqued it down with the originals.

I'd get the speedi sleeve and seal regardless. Seems like there is always wear and for the couple bucks extra it's just not worth the labor to do it again.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.