Radiator Leak

Finally after getting to run the B for an hour in the garage I noticed it started leaking. This was only leaking after it got warmed up. As you can see it is a bear to handle not alone getting it lifted over the grill guard. No, I did not want to take off the grill guard. I had to get on a small step ladder and work it off the bottom hose. The hose did not want to let go, so I got a knife and went at it like a madman. :rolleyes: Anyhow I will take it in to the shop and restore it back to better health.One good thing I noticed is no oil in the antifreeze or vise versa. All I wanted to do was pull the Mack out of the garage and put my new 10' X 24' American Garage Floor Mat down so I could start disassembling the truck for total resto job. Just thought it would be a change of scenery for you'all from the local choir thread.

mike

Hi Mike, you're a glutton for punishment. I'd have removed that grille guard without a second thought; but then again I've manhandled those radiators a few times. They are not that heavy but to balance on a ladder to elevate it over the guard is prolly something I'd rather not do. Especially with the recored radiator you will most likely have on your return trip from the radiator shop.

Assuming your engine has no external oil cooler on it I would replace all the radiator, and heater hoses while it is apart. It is much easier to reach through the radiator opening get to the hoses than when the truck is together. You mentioned that you were in for a restoration and you could replace everything when the sheet metal is off much easier yet.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi Mike, you're a glutton for punishment. I'd have removed that grille guard without a second thought; but then again I've manhandled those radiators a few times. They are not that heavy but to balance on a ladder to elevate it over the guard is prolly something I'd rather not do. Especially with the recored radiator you will most likely have on your return trip from the radiator shop.

Assuming your engine has no external oil cooler on it I would replace all the radiator, and heater hoses while it is apart. It is much easier to reach through the radiator opening get to the hoses than when the truck is together. You mentioned that you were in for a restoration and you could replace everything when the sheet metal is off much easier yet.

Rob

Rob you mentioned oil cooler. I see no oil cooler on this engine internal or external, not that it's not hiding somewhere in the block. I wanted to ask this question. Do you know if the AG Kit has Piston Rings or not? I hope so...can't see tearing down a motor without the most important parts. Only thing i'm concerned about is, when I was changing oil back a couple of months ago I found copper particals inside the duplex clairifier filter. It was not a heap of amount but it gets my attention. I found no sign of particals in the oil pan during draining.

Yes i'm a firm believer in replacing all hoses when needed during reassembly. One thing for sure...I bet the heater core needs some attention also but no sign of leakage ( knock on wood ) as of now.

mike

Rob you mentioned oil cooler. I see no oil cooler on this engine internal or external, not that it's not hiding somewhere in the block. I wanted to ask this question. Do you know if the AG Kit has Piston Rings or not? I hope so...can't see tearing down a motor without the most important parts. Only thing i'm concerned about is, when I was changing oil back a couple of months ago I found copper particals inside the duplex clairifier filter. It was not a heap of amount but it gets my attention. I found no sign of particals in the oil pan during draining.

Yes i'm a firm believer in replacing all hoses when needed during reassembly. One thing for sure...I bet the heater core needs some attention also but no sign of leakage ( knock on wood ) as of now.

mike

Rob, Forget me asking the question about the Piston Rings in the AG Kit. I found the site on the web and got my answer. :pat: