E-7 Mpg

I have an E-7 350 hp in my CH613.

It gets about half the mph as my other Cummins and Detroit powered units doing the same job.

I just ran the overhead on the E-7 with no improvement in mpg.

Any ideas as to why the mpg would be so much worse than other engines?

Hows the air filter? Do you have boost leaks ? Does the truck smoke while under load?

It gets about half the mph as my other Cummins and Detroit powered units doing the same job.

When was the last time the injector tips were serviced?Mack reccomands a yearly service on them.I get mine done every two year by a local injection shop. It runs me about 1200$ but always brings my fuel average way up so i see a return within a few month.Find a authorised Bosh dealer and you will have one year warranty on t hem.Servicing the injectors on an E7 is pretty cheap compared to many other makes. My Mack mechanic usually needs abouth one hour to remove all six,He then sends them to Bosh where they tests the nozzle spray pattern,rebuild and calibrate the units and send them back.I got better results dealing with an injection shop than using a mack rebuilt kit.The E7 fuel injection system is also sensitive to ULSD so i strongly suggest using a fuel additive (Howes)to protect your system. The unit pumps Will developp leaks because of ULSD and can result in dammage to the camshaft located directly underneathso,so a regular oil sampling looking for fuel contamination would be wise.Mine has 930K on it and still going strong averaging 7.5 to 8 on a reguler basis.

Truck not speced correctly, as in wrong axle ratio, tire size and transmission. Any of these are not right it could throw the engine out of its HP/tourqe range. Also as FJH said it could be just a low power problem! What year/ engine style.

When was the last time the injector tips were serviced?Mack reccomands a yearly service on them.I get mine done every two year by a local injection shop. It runs me about 1200$ but always brings my fuel average way up so i see a return within a few month.Find a authorised Bosh dealer and you will have one year warranty on t hem.Servicing the injectors on an E7 is pretty cheap compared to many other makes. My Mack mechanic usually needs abouth one hour to remove all six,He then sends them to Bosh where they tests the nozzle spray pattern,rebuild and calibrate the units and send them back.I got better results dealing with an injection shop than using a mack rebuilt kit.The E7 fuel injection system is also sensitive to ULSD so i strongly suggest using a fuel additive (Howes)to protect your system. The unit pumps Will developp leaks because of ULSD and can result in dammage to the camshaft located directly underneathso,so a regular oil sampling looking for fuel contamination would be wise.Mine has 930K on it and still going strong averaging 7.5 to 8 on a reguler basis.

Thank you.

I will put this on the differential diagnosis list.

What is the exact name of the Howes product that you reccomend?

I use Howes Meaner Power Cleaner, the small bottle. more expensive per liter than most but have used it for years and found improved fuel average with it,extends life on injector nozzle.

Anything "Howes" is good stuff. One of my best customers uses many of their products and he is very picky about anything he uses on his trucks. I use Lucus fuel treatment my personal cars, trucks and boats but none are diesel.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone use acetone in thier fuel,I seen this on the internet and am just curious

I know this thread is long since done

I did in the big truck for a bit. I just couldn't see the difference.Any positive advantage there was you went thru alot of it and the cost didn't justify the expense unlike the smaller vehicles. esp since my pick up sits for months at a time. Now in my pick up which is diesel I see a major difference in power,smoke,and economy. My dad uses it in his toyota and he has gotten approx 22 more miles a tank or more. I ran it in my diesel gen and it smoked alot less and I was getting more hours out of the tank