Thank You, Illinois!

RowdyRebel

I need to make a phone call to BC/BS tomorrow regarding a letter I finally got around to opening. I guess Illinois passed a bunch of new mandates for various coverages which must be included on all policies written in the state. The one that's pi$$ing me off the most, though, is the $20 co-pay for doctor visits whether the deductible has been met or not....along with changes in my deductible which are unclear at this point in time. The letter says my deductible has gone up, but the "new" amount of the deductible is considerably lower than what it SHOULD be.

When I first took out my policy, it was simple. I paid $65/month and it protected my assets in the event of a catastrophic injury or illness. I had a $1750 deductible, which I had to pay every dime of before BC/BS would fork over one red cent. Once I met the deductible, BC/BS would pay 80% on the next $15,000 of medical bills, when I would meet my $4750 maximum out-of-pocket for the year. Beyond that point, BC/BS would pay 100%.

I was pi$$ed off LAST year when they jacked the premium up by 30% to $85. It was pushing the limits of what I was willing to pay, but I paid it. I'm not sure what the new state mandates have done to the premium THIS year, but if they have gone up by even $0.01, I'm dropping the insurance altogether. I can take that $85/month and put it in the bank.

Insurance is SUPPOSED to cover the unexpected expenses...the out-of-the-ordinary, unplanned, unforeseen events. Insurance is NOT supposed to pay for the anticipated and expected expenses of daily life.

Think of it this way: What would your auto policy premium look like if the state mandated a $10 co-pay on gasoline fill-ups? What about a $10 co-pay on tires, brakes, tune-ups, oil changes, etc.? Those are expected costs that go hand in hand with owning a car...not what INSURANCE is supposed to cover.

Anyway, I'm fed up with being told I HAVE to buy certain coverages that I do not want or need, so I'm just not going to buy them anymore. When the state allows insurance companies to sell medical INSURANCE, I will buy it again. However, as long as the state mandates that companies sell medical expense accounts, I refuse to buy in. I'll pay for my own damned medical expenses one way or the other. It would be nice to have a little protection for my assets in the event of a catastrophic injury or illness, but I'm not too concerned about it. I'll cross that bridge if & when I ever stumble onto it.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

We are on a HMO plan through work. We got a letter notifying us of possible changes. BC/BS here also. I don't see how what they want to do will help anyone. Brad

I buy my own. I shopped around, found a policy I would be happy with, and bought it. Then they raised the premiums...I wasn't happy, but I dealt with it. Now, the policy is NOTHING like the one I bought...AND it's getting more expensive.

F 'em. I'll drop 'em like a hot rock. I've had people tell me "you'd be crazy not to pay TRIPLE just to have insurance..." or "I'd gladly pay twice what I do now..." and it is that kind of thinking that allows these run-away prices. People need to stand up and say ENOUGH! If something happens, I'll pay out of my pocket...or work out a payment plan directly with the doctor or hospital that treats me. I don't have to worry about any insurance company telling me what is or is not covered, or some government bureaucrat telling me what I HAVE to spend my hard earned money on.

Insurance should be just that...insurance. Expected expenses should NOT be covered...just the unexpected ones. When they decide to allow me to buy insurance, and the premiums are reasonable, I will purchase insurance. I do not want or need to buy into any shared medical expense account...which is what medical "insurance" has become. :thumbsdown:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

So is there a fee similar to the "un-insured motorist" fee you pay on your auto insurance?

I agree with you on the whole concept you're talking about. But until we get people in office who actually have to buy their own insurance and go through the whole rigamerole we'll keep getting socked with more un-funded mandates.

It's sometimes unfortunate that when the Constitution was written, it included individual rights and whatnot for states. In some cases it's good, others bad. Illinois does a good job at slingin the bullshit.

Maybe if the only people allowed to vote were people 18-49 years old, employed, not on any kind of government assistance, legal citizens and fans of the pre-steroid era of baseball we'd get something done.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

So is there a fee similar to the "un-insured motorist" fee you pay on your auto insurance?

I agree with you on the whole concept you're talking about. But until we get people in office who actually have to buy their own insurance and go through the whole rigamerole we'll keep getting socked with more un-funded mandates.

It's sometimes unfortunate that when the Constitution was written, it included individual rights and whatnot for states. In some cases it's good, others bad. Illinois does a good job at slingin the bullshit.

Maybe if the only people allowed to vote were people 18-49 years old, employed, not on any kind of government assistance, legal citizens and fans of the pre-steroid era of baseball we'd get something done.

I'd rather go back to the days when only landowners voted. Actually, there is nothing in the Constitution to prevent a state from prohibiting non-landowners from voting. As long as you are not using race, color, or previous condition of servitude (15th Amendment), sex (19th Amendment), failure to pay poll tax or other tax (24th Amendment), or age if over 18 (26th Amendment), there is nothing in the Constitution which would prohibit a state from keeping any group of individuals from voting. There is no Constitutional Right to Vote, so long as the restriction is not based upon one of those specific protected classes of persons.

That being said, you COULD legally restrict voting to only landowners. You COULD legally restrict voting to employed individuals. You COULD legally restrict voting to those NOT on government assistance. You can even restrict voting to legal citizens who were fans of pre-steroid era baseball...

...but you can NOT, however, restrict voting to only people 18-49. That would be unconstitutional.

...but you can NOT, however, restrict voting to only people 18-49. That would be unconstitutional.

Son of a bitch!! :angry:

Ah ha, but wait...typically those on medicare start at 65.

So then it's 18-65. That'll work.

Son of a bitch!! :angry:

Ah ha, but wait...typically those on medicare start at 65.

So then it's 18-65. That'll work.

As long as the restriction is based upon their acceptance of government assistance and NOT on their age, you'd be fine. :thumb:

However, considering the 65+ demographic is the most reliable when it comes to showing up on election day, you'd be hard pressed to find enough of your OTHER elected representatives to get that passed.

Not only that, but when it comes to the younger crowd....think about who they tend to support :pat:

How's that saying go again? If you are 20 and not liberal, you have no heart. If you are 30 and not conservative, you have no brain. :D

OK...now I'm feeling old. :pat:

You can't have much on me...you said you graduated something in '97. Maybe if it was graduate school then maybe you might be a gray hair....

I graduated h.s. in '98...went to community college for a semester and a half. Quit when I realized it wasn't for me and before I wasted any more money. Struck it rich (ha!) truck drivin ever since.

Thank yer' for callin' Redneck Real Estate, what yer' lookin' fer' today? I have a corn field I can sell yer' for $99 an acre if yer' interested. It comes with a trailer and a coupler trucks on cinda blocks as a yard ornerment. :lol::lol:

Wish I could find land for $99 an acre...

You can't have much on me...you said you graduated something in '97. Maybe if it was graduate school then maybe you might be a gray hair....

I graduated h.s. in '98...went to community college for a semester and a half. Quit when I realized it wasn't for me and before I wasted any more money. Struck it rich (ha!) truck drivin ever since.

Nope...that was high screwl I gradiated from in '97. I'll be 31 next month :pat:

Fiance just turned 26 last month...she was 18 when we started going out. I figure, if it don't work out with her, I'll be too old to get another 18 year old...so it BETTER work. :wacko:

Wish I could find land for $99 an acre...

Hell, I just paid $8500 for the house next door...doubled the size of my land holdings....got about 1/2 acre now....and it guarantees I ain't gonna have any neighbors anytime soon. :banana:

You ain't gonna find land for $99/acre ANYWHERE! Even in the NRA magazine, they advertise 35 acre tracts out west for around $30K....and that's still over $950/acre. Once I have the truck paid off, I may look into getting maybe 3 or 4 of those 35 acre tracts...as long as they are all together...

My goal in life is to have enough land that I can sit out on my back porch sippin' on a cold beer shootin' bottles & cans. 100+ acres somewhere would be nice...'specially if it had a 10 mile drive down a 2-track dirt road to get there. :thumb:

Nope...that was high screwl I gradiated from in '97. I'll be 31 next month :pat:

Fiance just turned 26 last month...she was 18 when we started going out. I figure, if it don't work out with her, I'll be too old to get another 18 year old...so it BETTER work. :wacko:

Just do like that one cop in the suburbs did. He was in his 50's with a girl fresh outta highschool. But don't kill your ex's.

Just do like that one cop in the suburbs did. He was in his 50's with a girl fresh outta highschool. But don't kill your ex's.

have a sticker in the back window of the '86 Ranger...

"I still miss my ex...

...but my aim is improving"

:lol:

I've always had a rule...

...I won't date any girl who adversely affects the performance of my bike.

Fat girls are out. So are girls who don't like bikes. :thumb:

You wouldn't have to work to ride a wheelie though.