E7 350 200K Miles Oil Leaking Bad

amhfire

im beyond lost and need help,, i have a 1997 e7 350 with 200k miles on it, runs great. powerfull starts ice cold. It failed inspection due to oil smoke. pulled the turbo and it was wet so replaced with a new one. also the bushing in the turbo had some play. Put the new one on and it still smoked. turbo had oil on exhaust side bad. took manifold off motor and oil coming from exhaust valves. looked like it was coming down the valve stems. put new valve seals on and put motor together and ran it. ran great, then smoked like crazy and back to the same. number 6/5/3/2 cylenders leaking oil, and more than just residual. lots. valve guids felt tight. pulled injectors they looked ok, but i have oil getting into the exaust side of the heads, and i have no blow major blow by and loss of power and it starts cold so im thinking its not compression. any info on this would be great, thanks

I've got that problem...oil all around the exhaust manifold. Sometimes on a pretty hard pull when everything gets good and hot I'll smell oil burning. Someone on here said oil leaks out around the manifold studs and the only way to remedy it is taking them all out, putting new ones in with some sort of thread lock/silicone. Frankly, it's more than I care to do as it MIGHT run through a gallon and a half per 10,000 miles (oil change interval for me)...I can tolerate that. My truck does a fair amount of idling too, though I bump the idle up to 1000rpm.

I still think I need new/reman heads...maybe a turbo and aftercooler...but if I'm going to take the lid off, might as well do it over top to bottom. Just my own opinion anyway.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

I've got that problem...oil all around the exhaust manifold. Sometimes on a pretty hard pull when everything gets good and hot I'll smell oil burning. Someone on here said oil leaks out around the manifold studs and the only way to remedy it is taking them all out, putting new ones in with some sort of thread lock/silicone. Frankly, it's more than I care to do as it MIGHT run through a gallon and a half per 10,000 miles (oil change interval for me)...I can tolerate that. My truck does a fair amount of idling too, though I bump the idle up to 1000rpm.

I still think I need new/reman heads...maybe a turbo and aftercooler...but if I'm going to take the lid off, might as well do it over top to bottom. Just my own opinion anyway.

well thats where i am i have everything off the heads, and im about to take them off to try and find the leak, its bad, i took all studs out and no leaks or crack, and if you take the heads off, you should just do the bottom, ive never done a motor job but it looks like thats it. this all started with a small leak out of the number six exhaust manifold, and i dont buy the studs leaking, all my oil is coming out of the head itself past the valves, take the manifold off and look. thanks for the reply

well thats where i am i have everything off the heads, and im about to take them off to try and find the leak, its bad, i took all studs out and no leaks or crack, and if you take the heads off, you should just do the bottom, ive never done a motor job but it looks like thats it. this all started with a small leak out of the number six exhaust manifold, and i dont buy the studs leaking, all my oil is coming out of the head itself past the valves, take the manifold off and look. thanks for the reply

One of the resident Mack techs...fjh or mackpro98 said something to that effect. The bolts go into or through where oil passes and it just seeps past the bolt(s) and out. It makes sense, in my case anyway. There's just oil all around the exhaust manifold.

What you're going through might be totally different. On mine, its the worst around the #1 and #6.

If I get ambitious tomorrow, I'll take some pictures.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

thats exactly what was happening to me, 6 and then 3 started to just leak around the manifold, they told me pull the exhaust stud and seal them theres an oil jacket so i pulled the manifold to look and thats when i found the problem. i ran it for three years with the two leaking just a little, and finaly did something and here i am, i take pictures of what im looking at, i bet you have the same thing starting. Im hoping to find the problem and post it, it has to be either a head issue or im pushing oil from the cylender, but with great compression its kinda wierd

thats exactly what was happening to me, 6 and then 3 started to just leak around the manifold, they told me pull the exhaust stud and seal them theres an oil jacket so i pulled the manifold to look and thats when i found the problem. i ran it for three years with the two leaking just a little, and finaly did something and here i am, i take pictures of what im looking at, i bet you have the same thing starting. Im hoping to find the problem and post it, it has to be either a head issue or im pushing oil from the cylender, but with great compression its kinda wierd

Check thru the springs if you can see if the valve seals have creaped up!We had some heads rebuilt at a local shop and shortly after the customer complained the truck would load up while idling the seals were creaping up on several valves they were able to fix this on the truck.

Also make sure your air cleaner is clean!

just put new valve seals in and none of the old ones had come up, pain in the ass to get them off

Yup not nice!Did the problem go away for a bit after the seals?Air filter new?Runing temp is 180 is it getting there?If your idleing lots that dosent help things.

How much oil does it use?All diesel engines need to work hard to stay tight no load on em is not good.

it was the same after the seals, it will show 1/4 inch low on the stick after two days or so. it just smokes, and its burning oil that comes out of the exhaust port. if i warm it up, then run it at 1200 or so for five minutes it starts to smoke. ill pull of the exhaust side of the turbo and its soaked, then pull the manifold and 6,5,3,2 are wet inside around the valves, so either valve guides are bad or rings are bad, but it starts cold, and runs strong, and i pulled the injectors to look down and the pistons are not overly wet. so i pulled all my hair out and had the parts guy from mack down who wants his guy to look at it and tell me whats wrong, so im currently bending over waiting for them to give it to me good. im not worried about rebuilding it i just want to know whats making this happen and no one knows for sure. and new air filter no restrictions, charge air is good and dry. all vents and down tube are clear for flow. so im lost anything with tits or wheels will #@%& you at some point

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

it was the same after the seals, it will show 1/4 inch low on the stick after two days or so. it just smokes, and its burning oil that comes out of the exhaust port. if i warm it up, then run it at 1200 or so for five minutes it starts to smoke. ill pull of the exhaust side of the turbo and its soaked, then pull the manifold and 6,5,3,2 are wet inside around the valves, so either valve guides are bad or rings are bad, but it starts cold, and runs strong, and i pulled the injectors to look down and the pistons are not overly wet. so i pulled all my hair out and had the parts guy from mack down who wants his guy to look at it and tell me whats wrong, so im currently bending over waiting for them to give it to me good. im not worried about rebuilding it i just want to know whats making this happen and no one knows for sure. and new air filter no restrictions, charge air is good and dry. all vents and down tube are clear for flow. so im lost anything with tits or wheels will #@%& you at some point

[/quote

]Have you come up with a fix for this problem yet!

• Like 1

• 12 years later...

2001 E7 350 Mack oil leaking out of exhaust pipe. It does it while idling, but not ever time I idle. It seems to be worse if it’s cold outside. Thought I’d put a gallon of Lucas in it. Made it worse. It was leaking oil out that didn’t look like it had ever been in the engine. Changed turbo and no difference. I noticed when it does it the oil pressure drops to about 16 pounds. I’m wondering if the oil is building up in the valve boxes quicker then it is running back down through the head drain ports, and forcing the oil out the valves.