Question About Engine In Picture [Engine Leak]

Hi Guys,

The picture below is for a 1991 Ch613 Mack that i'm planning on buying. The problem is that on inspecting the engine i saw that there was an oil leak near the top of the engine near the back [the side that nearly touches the dashboard/cabin]. The truck has not been moved for awhile so i also spotted some oil stains on the floor directly under the leak.

I was wondering if this discovery was a big enough red flag not to buy the truck, or is it something to expect due to its age? Please advise, your input is highly appreciated!!

N.B> the leak comes between where the top of the engine can be removed [near the back]

post-4866-12603869290464_thumb.jpg

Can you see if it's just a valve cover or worse(head gasket)? I assume you haven't started it to see if it "leaks" while running.

From your description("where the top of the engine can be removed"), does that mean the head gasket area(between block and head)?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Can you see if it's just a valve cover or worse(head gasket)? I assume you haven't started it to see if it "leaks" while running.

From your description("where the top of the engine can be removed"), does that mean the head gasket area(between block and head)?

Yes Larry, its the head gasket area between the block and the head, and i didn't see it leak while running. I did start it, but i didn't observe a leak when it was running

Your talking about an engine that's nineteen years old,I wouldn't let a minor oil leak stop me from buying the truck,if it was or is a bad leak that needs to be fixed than maybe you can get the owner to ether fix it first or deduct the cost of the repair from the selling price.Good Luck