R688St Clutch Question

The clutch on my 1988 R688st has gone , does anyone know where i can buy a new one, and what parts to buy? Thanks!!

If you are doing the work yourself don't rule out your Mack dealer. I've bought several Mack branded clutch setups that were priced competitively with the aftermarket parts houses.

A new clutch set will come with the friction disc(s), the intermediate plate, and pressure plate, (clutch cover) and throw out bearing. A machine shop will need to resurface the flywheel face and install the disc driving "dogs" if a 14 inch clutch. Be sure to replace both the crankshaft pilot bearing, and clutch brake while it is apart. Also look at the bushings in the flywheel housing and inspect the pivot shaft that operates the release, or throw out bearing for wear.

Ensure everything is properly greased upon reassembly.

I also like to use new bolts and hardware for everything upon reassembly, but it is not entirely necessary.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If you are doing the work yourself don't rule out your Mack dealer. I've bought several Mack branded clutch setups that were priced competitively with the aftermarket parts houses.

A new clutch set will come with the friction disc(s), the intermediate plate, and pressure plate, (clutch cover) and throw out bearing. A machine shop will need to resurface the flywheel face and install the disc driving "dogs" if a 14 inch clutch. Be sure to replace both the crankshaft pilot bearing, and clutch brake while it is apart. Also look at the bushings in the flywheel housing and inspect the pivot shaft that operates the release, or throw out bearing for wear.

Ensure everything is properly greased upon reassembly.

I also like to use new bolts and hardware for everything upon reassembly, but it is not entirely necessary.

Rob

How much do you think all these parts will cost me?

How much do you think all these parts will cost me?

I've seen the clutch setups as low as 359.99, up to better that $700.00, (exchange). It depends on what setup you have. Call your Mack dealer with the vin of the truck to ascertain what components you have to research parts.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks Rob!

When you install your new clutch, put in a "2 piece" clutch brake.

That way if the clutch brake goes bad in the future you can remove it easily and replace it with another 2 piece clutch brake without the PITA of cutting out a broken 1 piece clutch brake with a torch.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

When you install your new clutch, put in a "2 piece" clutch brake.

That way if the clutch brake goes bad in the future you can remove it easily and replace it with another 2 piece clutch brake without the PITA of cutting out a broken 1 piece clutch brake with a torch.

Amen to what HK said! Two peice is the way to go buy the eaton aluminum one Smuther it in grease when you install it and set the clutch brake right at the floor level and it will last ya a life time!,