R700 Cab Location?

Hi, does any one have a side pic of chassis around cab front mount area? I just need to confirm the location i have is correct. I have all ready swapped engine mounts around once to get them in correct spot, dont want to get caught with the cab :)

Grant

I'll be at the shop tonight and will tilt the hood and snap photo of the cab mounting area for you. It is currently 8:30 am here and it will be close to 5:00 before I can post the photos so you have a reference. I have round tanks on my truck but the front tank mount recesses into the front of the tank.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Grant, I snapped photos on both sides of the truck for comparison and left the camera at the shop. I'll get by later today and post but there will be a delay.

Sorry about that.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Grant, I snapped photos on both sides of the truck for comparison and left the camera at the shop. I'll get by later today and post but there will be a delay.

Sorry about that.

Rob

hello, no worries, thank you. I have a week away from it, as i am on way to melbourne in a b double.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, measured truck today, have mounts in correct spot now. just need to space them out an inch an they will be wide enuf for cab.

have started on the dash to, will be padding the plastic in black vinyl and then having the gauge area done in western red cedar wood grain, this process is powder coating used for house doors.

does the R models over there have a glove box?

Grant

Hi, measured truck today, have mounts in correct spot now. just need to space them out an inch an they will be wide enuf for cab.

have started on the dash to, will be padding the plastic in black vinyl and then having the gauge area done in western red cedar wood grain, this process is powder coating used for house doors.

does the R models over there have a glove box?

Grant

The earlier model R models have a glove box as the fuse an breaker panel is located forward of the passenger's knees behind an access panel. I believe in 1985 this was relocated and the panel was put in the glove box.

I have both if you need photos.

Rob

The earlier model R models have a glove box as the fuse an breaker panel is located forward of the passenger's knees behind an access panel. I believe in 1985 this was relocated and the panel was put in the glove box.

Rob

Hi, I was actually thinking of putting in a glove box because i am fully redoing the wiring in the truck. am not bothered about the big cicuit breakers that were in it as they were old and messy, am doing it another way.

Grant

Rob

Hi, bolted cab mounts on today. are there difrant height mounts? the pic from you shows cab sitting above chassis, this one looks like it will sit almost on chassis, am using R600 mounts with spacers behind them till a proper set turn up. the mounts i am using are from the water truck in album.

Grant

Hi, bolted cab mounts on today. are there difrant height mounts? the pic from you shows cab sitting above chassis, this one looks like it will sit almost on chassis, am using R600 mounts with spacers behind them till a proper set turn up. the mounts i am using are from the water truck in album.

Grant

I can't answer that with certainty. All the "eastern" trucks I've seen use the type mount that my photos show. My "Western" trucks use a different mount altogether but the frame rails of these trucks do not splay out under the cab, and they use straps to retain the fuel tanks. I'll compare the R795 mounts, and an R685 mounts tonight and note any differences.

Rob

I can't answer that with certainty. All the "eastern" trucks I've seen use the type mount that my photos show. My "Western" trucks use a different mount altogether but the frame rails of these trucks do not splay out under the cab, and they use straps to retain the fuel tanks. I'll compare the R795 mounts, and an R685 mounts tonight and note any differences.

Rob

If I recall correctly a R700 mount is a little diffrent than a 73+ RS700 mounts. as the later RS cabs sat higher above the fram than early models. same with Valueliners as those cabs also sit higher. As rob said the RS600-valuliner and later RS700L all had straight rails. the diffrence could be the mount or where the mount holes were drilled. I think most of the later cabs used the same style but they could be a little diffrent depending on the model of the truck. simple way to check cab hight is to look at the back of the cab. if the cab rear wall is about flush with the top of the frame rails. that could be a standard R model. if it sits about 6" above the rails the cab is "raised". Early Fuel tanks also used the front or rear or both cab mounts as a support so that may come into play? are you converting a R600 to a R700?

Trent

If I recall correctly a R700 mount is a little diffrent than a 73+ RS700 mounts. as the later RS cabs sat higher above the fram than early models. same with Valueliners as those cabs also sit higher. As rob said the RS600-valuliner and later RS700L all had straight rails. the diffrence could be the mount or where the mount holes were drilled. I think most of the later cabs used the same style but they could be a little diffrent depending on the model of the truck. simple way to check cab hight is to look at the back of the cab. if the cab rear wall is about flush with the top of the frame rails. that could be a standard R model. if it sits about 6" above the rails the cab is "raised". Early Fuel tanks also used the front or rear or both cab mounts as a support so that may come into play? are you converting a R600 to a R700?

Trent

Hi, interesting. yes am converting a 69 flintstone r600 to a 1970s r700, i have a cab off a 89 model, chassis is 69 model, motor is 866 from an f model, gearbox is 20spd, diffs are f model so is front suspension, the cab mounts are from a 75 r600 so its a bittsa, I may look at making some cab mounts i think??

Grant

wow .. thats a project LOL!! i wish you luck with it. thats alot of things to get lined up right. It sounds like you will be better off making some of the mounts rather than trying to get the diffrent parts to work for you???

regards

Trent

Hi, thanks, its getting there. the cab mounts may be ok, i will pop cab on and see where the sub frame i made sits, hopefully it sits high enuf to miss front cross member.

I am also making a rear cross member, one that has a ring feeder set up on it to shift dollys and road train trailers around the yard, the drive shafts are getting made now, the radiator is getting rotted out to. i spend about 2-3 hours a day on it most days, tomorrow will do a full day so should have the track rods in and rear cross member made???

Grant

• 2 weeks later...

I see one small problem..

Hi, now that i am back from melbourne again. have put another album in solely for pics of rebuild, i have to find the pics of chassis coming down, before i put pics of it going back together.

fitted 6 of the 8 tank mounts today. will be able to carry 1600 litres of fuel. am fitting two air tanks also, plus starter tank and oil tank for pto.

Grant

We need a few pics of this project!!!!