Cab Lights

I recently purchased a mack CL 713 the 2 outside roof marker lights operate on a separate switch can anyone tell me the reason for this

I would guess it probably has something to do with maintaining the tail lights & clearance lights on 2 separate circuits. The headlight switch turns on the headlights, as well as a couple clearance lights on the truck, and the outside running lights on the trailer (the turn signals). The second switch turns on the rest of the clearance lights, as well as the 3 center as well as the inside running lights on the trailer (brake lights). If EITHER circuit has a problem, you still have SOME sort of lighting on the truck & trailer to identify it as a larger vehicle...either lights on the corners, or the 3 lights in the center.

For a more practical use, though, the switch that turns on the center three & the tail lights is also wired into the same circuit as the switch on the end of the turn signal switch. When you pass someone, and they blink their lights to let you know you cleared 'em, either switch can be used to flash your tail lights to say "thanks" without shutting off ALL of your lights.

The other switch on the side of the turn signal lever will flash the high beams. I only use that during the day...or at night to tell someone coming at me to turn their dadgum high beams off. When someone clears me at night, I turn the headlights off and back on in order to avoid blinding the guy that is watching his mirror to see when he's cleared me. :thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I would guess it probably has something to do with maintaining the tail lights & clearance lights on 2 separate circuits. The headlight switch turns on the headlights, as well as a couple clearance lights on the truck, and the outside running lights on the trailer (the turn signals). The second switch turns on the rest of the clearance lights, as well as the 3 center as well as the inside running lights on the trailer (brake lights). If EITHER circuit has a problem, you still have SOME sort of lighting on the truck & trailer to identify it as a larger vehicle...either lights on the corners, or the 3 lights in the center.

For a more practical use, though, the switch that turns on the center three & the tail lights is also wired into the same circuit as the switch on the end of the turn signal switch. When you pass someone, and they blink their lights to let you know you cleared 'em, either switch can be used to flash your tail lights to say "thanks" without shutting off ALL of your lights.

The other switch on the side of the turn signal lever will flash the high beams. I only use that during the day...or at night to tell someone coming at me to turn their dadgum high beams off. When someone clears me at night, I turn the headlights off and back on in order to avoid blinding the guy that is watching his mirror to see when he's cleared me. :thumb:

It could be worse! You could have a KW or Pete with 4 light switches!

I've noticed a pretty steady decline the past couple years in the over-the-roaders who either flash you over or "thank" you w/the tailights...half the time I don't even bother...

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

I recently purchased a mack CL 713 the 2 outside roof marker lights operate on a separate switch can anyone tell me the reason for this

Mack has done this since the 60's that I have seen and yes to cut load on switches and to be cool with the blink, blink switch (Mack was ahead of its time)

if you have a tractor it will blink trailer markers, In a strait truck you can relocate your body lights to that switch.

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

• 4 months later...

i put green lenses on mine, so i give them a blink or two to let another truck or car have the right away.its like saying go ahead