Charge Air Cooler

KEVIN

If your talking about the tip turbine engines,I think there were 3 diffrent HP ratings with the tip turbine air charge cooled engines

285/315/ and 350 rateings?? not shure if the part numbers vary between HP ratings?

my vin # is RS786LST32474 and I have the 285HP tip turbine, you should be able to find a part number at your local Mack dealer with this vin number.

Trent

KEVIN

If your talking about the tip turbine engines,I think there were 3 diffrent HP ratings with the tip turbine air charge cooled engines

285/315/ and 350 rateings?? not shure if the part numbers vary between HP ratings?

my vin # is RS786LST32474 and I have the 285HP tip turbine, you should be able to find a part number at your local Mack dealer with this vin number.

Trent

Thanks Trent, but I really would like to convert to air to air-however that vin number has given me an idea.All I have to do is open the door on a truck set up like I want it & get the the last 6 digits( Macks are great) nothing wrong with tip turbine power, we have one that does great-but getting hard to find these setups. Thanks again -Kevin :thumb:

Thanks Trent, but I really would like to convert to air to air-however that vin number has given me an idea.All I have to do is open the door on a truck set up like I want it & get the the last 6 digits( Macks are great) nothing wrong with tip turbine power, we have one that does great-but getting hard to find these setups. Thanks again -Kevin :thumb:

You might look to see if you have enough room in front, it think the charge air cooler hood might be 2-3" longer, maybe someone on the site might know. Ron

Good point Ron. I cant fit a intercooler from a 4V 300 between the grill and the Radiator on my truck. I have about 2 1/2 inches and I need 3 1/3 to make one fit :(

Trent

thanks Trent,I believe this thing has plenty of room(think it was intended or set up for the optional 4valve engine) how come the 4 valve engines I've been around dont have a pyrometer?-Kevin

the pryometer has always been a option when a new truck was ordered. can be installed rather easy. take the pipe plug off the turbo pipe. install the thermocoupler, run the wires to the gauge in dash. use existing 2" hole in dash or cut out a hole. do not cut the long lead wires. wrap up the excess and put a tie strap around and secure. if wires are cut, the gauge will not read right. mack dealers sell a complete kit. im going on memory that part # was 1MT19320A.

thanks Trent,I believe this thing has plenty of room(think it was intended or set up for the optional 4valve engine) how come the 4 valve engines I've been around dont have a pyrometer?-Kevin

Kevin, another thing do you have a radiator that goes down to the bumper, i think the charge air cooler takes a bigger radiator could make your engine over heat. Ron

Kevin, another thing do you have a radiator that goes down to the bumper, i think the charge air cooler takes a bigger radiator could make your engine over heat. Ron

Thanks Rick&Ron-something to consider, the laws of thermodynamics teach us that the heat that is used to spin the turbo-will heat the compressed air& it would sort of like be blowing exhaust heat into the main heat exchanger-probaly would have to upsize radiator-Kevin

Good point Ron. I cant fit a intercooler from a 4V 300 between the grill and the Radiator on my truck. I have about 2 1/2 inches and I need 3 1/3 to make one fit :(

Trent

Check on the spacing between the fan and your radiator, sometimes on the tip turbine motor you can make up that difference in the fan spacer, we ended up doing that on mine trent with the new E7

Check on the spacing between the fan and your radiator, sometimes on the tip turbine motor you can make up that difference in the fan spacer, we ended up doing that on mine trent with the new E7

Good thought John. I installed the fan clutch last year and I dont recall if it had a spacer or not?. The fan was close to the rad. I cant rember if the hood or rad had a slide adjustment but I know it was all the way back giving me all the space that is offered with OEM parts. What Intercooler did you use? I checked the thickness of a 4v 300 intercooler and It was about 3 1/2 thick

Good thought John. I installed the fan clutch last year and I dont recall if it had a spacer or not?. The fan was close to the rad. I cant rember if the hood or rad had a slide adjustment but I know it was all the way back giving me all the space that is offered with OEM parts. What Intercooler did you use? I checked the thickness of a 4v 300 intercooler and It was about 3 1/2 thick

Guys can you give me some part numbers-on my R-I have 5 inches or better, do you use same turbo? and what about injector nozzles? I would like to get the torque and power up on the old 237 a bit. The truck weighs 25000 lbs empty and on 9% grades even medium diesels are a menace- :thumb: Kevin

The charge air cooler on my 87 model with a 4v 350 is 3md 53b according to the book.

Thank you Valueliner- a question though- did the Valueliners have the the L series motors?(I used to drive 88 R Models with PL blocked off-EM6-300 and they would outdo the E7-300 97 model stock one I drove-Kevin :thumb: