Aerialscope Rotation

NJCF

We have an 75' Aerialscope Ex-FDNY. From the turntable we can fully operate the tower (Left, Right, In, Out, Up, Down) From the bucket we can only operate (In, Out, Up, Down). Any ideas on where to start looking or what the issue might be. Any help or guidence to a resource would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

We have an 75' Aerialscope Ex-FDNY. From the turntable we can fully operate the tower (Left, Right, In, Out, Up, Down) From the bucket we can only operate (In, Out, Up, Down). Any ideas on where to start looking or what the issue might be. Any help or guidence to a resource would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

We have had similar problems before and it was the collector ring under the turntable.

Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.

Kenny Lane

Hi Kenny,

I used to bring my motorcycle chapter and we would ride in your christmas parade in Fairview. Also I used to ride the old 96 from Leipers Fork to Fairview for some really good cycle roads that you have. I had a friend that was the captain of the Hermitage Firehall, a Mr. Riley Young. He and his son were into restoring A model Fords when I was then going to car shows. I'll stop rambling for now.

Regards

mike :mack1:

NJCF,

Another place to look is the boom spindle on the side of the bed section. It is a reel that coils the line to the platform with a top hat looking extension that sticks out of the middle. In the top hat looking piece is copper brushes that make contact while spinning out and in to maintain the hydraulic functions that the joystick is relaying to the hydraulic system. Over time the brushes become worn and or the drum become pitted leaving dead spots. This is a common cause when you have spots in joystick motions where there is no truck movement when using the joystick to control operations. After so long this can get so bad that total movement in one direction can totally be disabled. Your levers from the turn table are directly connected to the hydraulic valves. Everything from the platform is carried over these electrical contacts back to the turn table which is almost always the cause of your type of problem.

Allison

• 2 weeks later...

Did some investigation this weekend and found one of the Axis Controlers was the issue. I looked up some information and came up with the following info:

MOOG - Axis Control

Model Number 86A-183

Baker Part Number 0201-7020

Started googling it, but haven't come up with anything. I just need the internal electronics.

It's not in active service

As I stated in firehouse.com, if this is an in-service piece of apparatus, you really need to let a certified technician (who is familiar with 'scopes) repair the problem. Aerial controls are not something to mess with.