866 Issues

ducky698

Hi, am slowly getting this 866 sorted. have just pulled water pump off to replace little hoses. they um didnt think much about road side repairs for just a blown hose did they!

and the seal behind the waterpump impellor, how do i get this out? pull front cover off? it looks like i can press it off on engine but what about getting impellor back on again? do i take front cover off?

and 2 thermastats! are all 866 engines twin thermastat or is this an australian severe weather outback system?

and engine has been sitting for 18mths, anything i should do?

thanks

Grant

Nope forget about roadside hose repairs on one of those. Your waterpump impeller core assembly will pull right off the block once you've removed the housing. Pull it right out it's on a shaft with a moulded gear, you've got a square silicone O-ring recessed in th block to keep oil in behind it. I always exchanged mine for a remaned assembly which are'nt handy to get. You can take it apart on the bench if you want. You should be able to get a seal for it somewhere. It only has a roll pin through the impeller and shaft right at the tip, then the impeller should pull off with a puller like a harmonic balancer puller, be carefull not to break it. All 866's have two thermostats.

Nope forget about roadside hose repairs on one of those. Your waterpump impeller core assembly will pull right off the block once you've removed the housing. Pull it right out it's on a shaft with a moulded gear, you've got a square silicone O-ring recessed in th block to keep oil in behind it. I always exchanged mine for a remaned assembly which are'nt handy to get. You can take it apart on the bench if you want. You should be able to get a seal for it somewhere. It only has a roll pin through the impeller and shaft right at the tip, then the impeller should pull off with a puller like a harmonic balancer puller, be carefull not to break it. All 866's have two thermostats.

I had no problems getting the seals needed for my V8 at an industrial seal supplier. If you have problems I'll replicate the order and get them for you. Real easy job to do once off the engine. Just be easy on the impeller wheel as Bad Dog mentioned.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If it's sat for that long prime the oil system before starting it or you could end up seizing a bearing in the turbo or spinning a rod or main bearing.

I cranked my 866 engine with the engine stop pulled out till oil pressure stabilized. It sat for nine solid, (possibly more) years without being touched outside.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi, so once i have the pump housing off I should be able to take the impellor and shaft out with out pulling timing cover off engine? is this what you mean?

its getting all new hoses around this thing before engine goes in. gotta give it a fighting chance of survival :)

the cooling setup is impressive once you work out the system.

Grant

hi, no worries, thankyou. will keep trying to get it out then, its a tite fit.

Grant

Grant, I warmed the shaft on mine with a propane torch to expand it, then sprayed a penetrant oil on the pin area before it cooled. I think the oil is sucked into the interference fit of the pin and hole. The pin drove right out and was reused when put back together.

Spray it "Dog Dick Pink" and it will jump out of there for you!!

Rob

Grant, I warmed the shaft on mine with a propane torch to expand it, then sprayed a penetrant oil on the pin area before it cooled. I think the oil is sucked into the interference fit of the pin and hole. The pin drove right out and was reused when put back together.

Spray it "Dog Dick Pink" and it will jump out of there for you!!

Rob

Hi, the roll pin is missing. I havent got it out of the block yet, thats going to be the hardest part at the moment. should try that paint, it may work? :)

Grant

Hi, the roll pin is missing. I havent got it out of the block yet, thats going to be the hardest part at the moment. should try that paint, it may work? smile.gif

Grant

Hi Grant, don't be afraid to warm the housing with a propane torch. The cast iron both the housing and cover are made of will stick together due to rust over the years. I wouldn't use acetylene to heat as there is too much of a good thing there sometimes...... When you have the parts warm, rap on the pump housing with a plastic face hammer from any direction available and it will come loose. It is much easier when the engine is out of a chassis such as yours is.

If you remember to paint it correctly before reassembly, you will never have a problem again!! Remember to use the right color!!!

Rob

Hi Grant, don't be afraid to warm the housing with a propane torch. The cast iron both the housing and cover are made of will stick together due to rust over the years. I wouldn't use acetylene to heat as there is too much of a good thing there sometimes...... When you have the parts warm, rap on the pump housing with a plastic face hammer from any direction available and it will come loose. It is much easier when the engine is out of a chassis such as yours is.

If you remember to paint it correctly before reassembly, you will never have a problem again!! Remember to use the right color!!!

Rob

Hi, ok, pump impellor and shaft are out. the roll pin! um.... i see one end on the impellor but no other end in shaft. but if you turn shaft around there is a hole half way into shaft and then its solid. so either the pin is broke and impellor has moved or someone has drilled another hole an relocated the pin and welded it in? either way it is not coming off!

where am i likely to get another impellor and shaft?

Grant

Hi, ok, pump impellor and shaft are out. the roll pin! um.... i see one end on the impellor but no other end in shaft. but if you turn shaft around there is a hole half way into shaft and then its solid. so either the pin is broke and impellor has moved or someone has drilled another hole an relocated the pin and welded it in? either way it is not coming off!

where am i likely to get another impellor and shaft?

Grant

Can you send me a photo? I'm not quite sure what is going on there.

Rob

Rob

Hi, will take one tomorrow. i am guessing the bearing has failed, the pump bound up on casing and its sheared the pin? basicly there is a hole in the shaft where a pin would go. and there is a pin in impellor that is a 1/4 of a turn further around from that hole in shaft.

Grant

Rob

Hi, pic supplied. see the pin is not in line with the hole. and it doesnt want to pull off and none available in Australia and when they were available they were 397.00 aud

Grant

post-2194-12559590651389_thumb.jpg

Hi, pic supplied. see the pin is not in line with the hole. and it doesnt want to pull off and none available in Australia and when they were available they were 397.00 aud

Grant

I've got an engine I'm going to use for parts. Let me check on it to see if it can help you.

Rob

I've got an engine I'm going to use for parts. Let me check on it to see if it can help you.

Rob

Hi, got the impellor off today. I was correct, it locked up and had sheared the pin! problem is it has cracked the impellor in front of the pin. the shaft is not to happy either.

the bearing behind the timing cover case that the water pimp is driven by, are these fed by the oil system? or are they sealed? and is there any more sealed bearings on the front of this engine?

the water pump isnt available new there is it? part #316GC1151A it cross refranced to 316GC1151EX here.

Grant

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, got the impellor off today. I was correct, it locked up and had sheared the pin! problem is it has cracked the impellor in front of the pin. the shaft is not to happy either.

the bearing behind the timing cover case that the water pimp is driven by, are these fed by the oil system? or are they sealed? and is there any more sealed bearings on the front of this engine?

the water pump isnt available new there is it? part #316GC1151A it cross refranced to 316GC1151EX here.

Grant

• 4 weeks later...