Ai 427 Upgrades

tylerstanley

What about any software upgrades for a 2006 cv713 with a AI-427? I see throttle response updates for other models and stuff, and I was wondering if there was any type of updates to help my truck run better. It seems like when the motor makes the most power, you have to shift. What are you opinions on this motor? Good bad?

What about any software upgrades for a 2006 cv713 with a AI-427? I see throttle response updates for other models and stuff, and I was wondering if there was any type of updates to help my truck run better. It seems like when the motor makes the most power, you have to shift. What are you opinions on this motor? Good bad?

Yes, the AI engines have updates for poor throttle response and it make a big difference. The Mack dealer could also send in a HP change request form to Mack and see what it would cost to go to 460HP, sometimes just a simple download. Most 427 and 460 have the same exact engines just different downloads. Have you changed tire size since truck was new? Most AI engines have a narrow torque curve and if you upset it, you will feel like you have lost power. 4.17 rear gears and tall 24.5 tires are a no-no, we had to change out some ring gear and pinions before. 4.42 and 4.64 with tall rubber work good with these engines. 4.42 seem best but 4.64 are good but you lose some top end MPH.

Yes, the AI engines have updates for poor throttle response and it make a big difference. The Mack dealer could also send in a HP change request form to Mack and see what it would cost to go to 460HP, sometimes just a simple download. Most 427 and 460 have the same exact engines just different downloads. Have you changed tire size since truck was new? Most AI engines have a narrow torque curve and if you upset it, you will feel like you have lost power. 4.17 rear gears and tall 24.5 tires are a no-no, we had to change out some ring gear and pinions before. 4.42 and 4.64 with tall rubber work good with these engines. 4.42 seem best but 4.64 are good but you lose some top end MPH.

No the tire size is the same. I'll take it into the dealer and see what type of updates they can do for me. I think I need the overhead run too. This motor smokes too when you have it below 1400 rpm, is that normal too? Its just a small black smoke when you are under a pull. Then it will clear up after 1400 rpm. thanks.

I forgot, we have a 4.42 rear end, withte super single tires that are the equal to a 11R24.5

Edited by tylerstanley

Black smoke under load at low rpms is pretty normal for the AI engines, but going from the AI-427 to the AI-460 will require a different turbo in addition to a software chage. For what its worth the AI-460s aren't that impresive the suffer from the same problems you describe with the power being up in the top rpm range. It may sound odd but you may want to look at changing it to the AMI-370 setup, it has a little less peak power but pulls over a wider range.