Electronic Control.....or Not?

gomoto69

hello everyone, I'm new here, and to the trucking world! I've just got my class one here in bc, and i'm looking to buy into a used dump truck. I'm hoping to stay away from electronically controlled engines, but am unsure what years are involved. I'm looking at an add fora 1998 mack cx613 with an e7 427 engine. is this mechanical or electronically injected? It has a 13 sp trans (i'm assuming mack?). Does this year truck have any inherent flaws or problems i should be aware of? How is the fuel efficiency of this engine? is 427 the horsepower rating? If it is electronic injection, is it reliable, or should i look for mechanical pump, and if so, how new of truck can i look at that is still mechanical? sorry if all this sounds like newbie stuff, but i'm looking foward to getting my feet wet in the gravel hauling world! thanks all!

hello everyone, I'm new here, and to the trucking world! I've just got my class one here in bc, and i'm looking to buy into a used dump truck. I'm hoping to stay away from electronically controlled engines, but am unsure what years are involved. I'm looking at an add fora 1998 mack cx613 with an e7 427 engine. is this mechanical or electronically injected? It has a 13 sp trans (i'm assuming mack?). Does this year truck have any inherent flaws or problems i should be aware of? How is the fuel efficiency of this engine? is 427 the horsepower rating? If it is electronic injection, is it reliable, or should i look for mechanical pump, and if so, how new of truck can i look at that is still mechanical? sorry if all this sounds like newbie stuff, but i'm looking foward to getting my feet wet in the gravel hauling world! thanks all!

Electrics are not that bad till 2004 You will find very few options out there non electric. pre 93 best option.

This will be an eteck engine electronic not a bad unit depending on its treatment.If you looking at it and it is a dump truck Run the other way.

this model is a street machine not a work truck.you will be looking to a pre 94 maybe to get any thing non electric 300 or less hp , You need to be looking at 96 or better CL 713 427 or 460 hp electric but the second best dumper around in my opinion!THE first best being an RD pre 90s 350 or 400 6 cyl.

is 427 the horsepower rating?

Yes.

I believe if you want mechanical you need to look at very early 90's. We even have a '93 E-7 thats electronic. I also think 400HP was the limit for factory mechanical E-7's. We actually owned five of the first generation electronic Mack E-7's ('93-'97) and found the system to be really reliable. All of the electronics are in the cab where they should be, and the system isn't overly complicated like their current abominations (thanks EPA).

thanks guys, that's just the kind of info that is gold to me right now! Looking at another ad for a 93 rd688s with 400 hp, but this is probably too new too? Also, only has an 8spd. Would that be eneough 'gear' to get moving, or is it less top end gearing, which wouldn't matter so much for dump truck? What engine numbers/letters describe the 6cyl engines so i can watch future ads? Also, did cat and cummins go to electronic control about the same time? I've seen some pretty good sounding mid 90's kenworth t-800's and western stars with n-14's or 3406's and 18spds, what's the pro's and con's to these compared to mack? thanks again!

thanks guys, that's just the kind of info that is gold to me right now! Looking at another ad for a 93 rd688s with 400 hp, but this is probably too new too? Also, only has an 8spd. Would that be eneough 'gear' to get moving, or is it less top end gearing, which wouldn't matter so much for dump truck?

A '93 RD688S could be either mechanical or elec. I had a 91 RB688S that was mechanical,it would leave a C12 430 H.P. Cat in the dust.

Also had a '95 CL with a mechanical E7 350 in it.

The fact that the RD in your post has a 400 HP engine suggests to me that the "8 speed" is a Eaton Fuller 8LL.

The 8LL is a great dump truck transmission, it has a deep reduction for heavy off road startability, and also has a .73 overdrive in hi gear for decent road speed.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"