Tach Trouble

Hello, I have a 72' CF 600 fire engine. The tach on both the pump panel and dashboard is not working. I attempted to trace the wires which go inside of a 1/2" jacket. The wire goes up over the transmission and toward the engine. It appears to terminate near the front of the engine around the oil filter. I am curious how a tach on a Mack is controlled. Also if anyone knows how to fix this. I am a new owner to this vehicle and am just starting to learn my way around this vehicle.

Thanks, Jared

Is your truck gas or diesel? Gas will feed off of the ignition coil and I believe diesel is triggered by a signal from the alternator. Rob would be better at this than I.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

Is your truck gas or diesel? Gas will feed off of the ignition coil and I believe diesel is triggered by a signal from the alternator. Rob would be better at this than I.

One would need to ascertain what powerplant is installed to answer further.

While some diesels do in fact use a trigger from the alternator windings, most heavy equipment of this vintage use some sort of reluctor ring and a magnetic pickup to drive an electronic gauge of some type.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The engine is diesel. Paired up with an old Aerialscope tranny.

Is it an inline Mack diesel?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The engine looks to be a V-6... I will check for sure.

If it is in fact a V6 engine, be sure to identify which vendor engine it is, (brand). I've never seen anything but a Mack engine in a "CF" series truck. Try to post a photo of what you have also.

Rob