Frame Crossmembers

ducky698

Hi, is there any reasone why the crossmembers are fitted in the chassis with the hollow section facing forward? the manual does not mention it, but have seen them only fitted this way.

I have turned mine the other way so the dirt doesnt get held there.

Grant

Hi, is there any reasone why the crossmembers are fitted in the chassis with the hollow section facing forward? the manual does not mention it, but have seen them only fitted this way.

Grant

:huh::idunno: Not sure what you mean. What kind of truck? My CH, there is no hollow part facing front OR rear...looks like this:

(here's a cross section view....it broke) :pat:

l_46ce3c85bc514d518e1d1485c9747521.jpg

The hollow section faces downward like this:

l_2d300a09621d40abaf5ba3c5ae23ba91.jpg

l_a0224a772472459081714648f4f76720.jpg

Do you have any pics to help explain?

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Hi, i have pics, but it wont let me post them. i got image size down to 48kb and its trying to tell me its to large!

its the stamped c channel style crossmembers like on the flintstone and r models through the 70s, i have noticed they have the hollow part facing forward so it catches all the dirt.

Grant

Hi, i have pics, but it wont let me post them. i got image size down to 48kb and its trying to tell me its to large!

its the stamped c channel style crossmembers like on the flintstone and r models through the 70s, i have noticed they have the hollow part facing forward so it catches all the dirt.

Grant

I don't beleive there is a reason. I like your idea beter anyway!

:rolleyes:

I don't beleive there is a reason. I like your idea beter anyway!

:rolleyes:

your allways going up muddy roads here, to me it doesnt make sense having them the other way as they fill up with dirt. I must have scraped 5lbs of mud of the inside of these. i also relocated my second one further back to, it was only 26 inches or so away from front one. now its 55inches away.

Grant

Grant

Grant Why don't you ask Mack if they still have the 2 piece crosmembers. They fit in the same holes

and are flat still use the same bolt pattern. I replaced all of them on mine, They never break and you can replace

them easy. They wern't expensive..... Mark

Grant Why don't you ask Mack if they still have the 2 piece crosmembers. They fit in the same holes

and are flat still use the same bolt pattern. I replaced all of them on mine, They never break and you can replace

them easy. They wern't expensive..... Mark

Hello, these ones are back in for now. it wouldnt surprise me if they still have them as you can still buy most other parts.

frame rails are still available, there is 11 sets in Sydney, a new R model cab there also.

Grant

Hello, these ones are back in for now. it wouldnt surprise me if they still have them as you can still buy most other parts.

frame rails are still available, there is 11 sets in Sydney, a new R model cab there also.

Grant

hey grant funny you tell me mack have 11 sets ,i asked my local dealer 2 years ago to see if they could get rails never got back to me so extended mine,some spare parts guys dont give a sh-t,what the cab worth do you know???cheers adrian :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Grant

hey grant funny you tell me mack have 11 sets ,i asked my local dealer 2 years ago to see if they could get rails never got back to me so extended mine,some spare parts guys dont give a sh-t,what the cab worth do you know???cheers adrian :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hello, had that problem here with spare parts people, they are on the ball in Brisbane, Mat Hendry you want to talk to.

the cab is new and in Sydney, around the 30,000 mark, the chassis rails are 3300.00 per each outer, the inners are 3100.00 each, they are long enuf to run a 72 inch bunk and are un drilled!

and for that price is why i am rebuilding these poor bent things.

Grant