Jump to content

mattb73lt

Bulldog
  • Content Count

    315
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    19

Posts posted by mattb73lt


  1. Well, my text disappeared when I posted those pics. But, it's been two months since I touched this, didn't think I would be that busy. Finally got on it this weekend, finished all the welding and primed the frame. Got the donor frame to the sandblaster and into the shop for primer.

    The big score was finding a "Back-Drop" exhaust for the Cummins. It's super nice and once its painted and installed I'll post some pictures.


  2. 7 minutes ago, h67st said:

    Nothing like getting things cleaned up and new paint on them! I notice your floor looks old...when you built your new shop, did you reuse the old foundation and floor?

    It's the original floor with 3/4" plywood layed over it as a work surface. I put it down when I did the other B. I'll probably replace it at some point.


  3. 3 minutes ago, Hobert62 said:

    I didn't use the mack rear I used the Rockwell from the freightliner air ride cutoff.   It gave me a much better gear ratio.  My last mack crossmember is at the rear of the doubled frames.  It is about 2' of just freightliner frame  before the first freightliner crossmember.  

    I've got a 4.62 rear and a double overdrive Triplex going in this one. Nearly the same as I set up in my other B, but with 24.5" rubber going on this one. Cruises nice at 65, with more top end. The Triplex gives good flexibility around town and highway.

    • Like 1

  4. 4 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

    Freighttrain & myself did something similar.   I can't say for him but I didn't use any type of shims.   Everything pulled together    like it belonged.   I bolted it through 3 of the mack crossmembers then added the fuel tank mounts and some other brackets through the splice as well.        I think my overlap is about 4'

    A couple of years ago I posted a question of the frame stretch, I think Freightrain responded with some pics of his stretch. That and a few other responses confirmed that it was pretty sound to go forward that way. Most of my measurements are close and just need to be tightened up a little. Right now I'm thinking that there's 1/4" difference from inner to outer spacing, that could be made up with two 1/8" shims down the overlap. I still need to finish cleaning both sets of rails and then finalize everything.

    My plan is to use the two Mack cross members where the original axle is, then staggered bolts in between. There'll be two more cross members  where the donor axle is. The Mack axle will fit the springs that are in the donor frame. It has a Eaton twospeed under it now that'll be removed. The plus is the body is already mounted and will just need to be remounted. Looks like there'll be about 7' added to the wheelbase.

    • Like 1

  5. 5 hours ago, j hancock said:

     

    Thanks all!  Nice day at the show.  The dash plaque was just plain old luck.  My name was drawn out of a hat at our chapter's fall potluck meal and meeting.

    Matt, I will send the WOW back to you because the B-73 is looking excellent in your restoration thread!

    Thanks, I waited a long time to get to it. The thread keeps me motivated to get something done each week so even it's something minor.

    Your Tandem B is really nice though, I'll have to track you down at one of the shows to see it up close.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help customize your user experience here on BMT. You can adjust your cookie settings to your preferences if you like, otherwise we'll assume that you're okay to continue.