Firemack Help! Oil Filter Wont' Fit

gmbelt

Firemack:

According to my mechanic, the NAPA 1503 oil filter I purchased for my Mack 707C engine won't fit. The mechanic tells me it is too small and the Napa 1503 won't slide up on the "shaft" because the center hole in the filter is too small. I know the NAPA 1503 is about 1/2" smaller in OD, but how do I get it to go on the shaft?

Many thanks,

Gary

Manassas, VA

Firemack:

According to my mechanic, the NAPA 1503 oil filter I purchased for my Mack 707C engine won't fit. The mechanic tells me it is too small and the Napa 1503 won't slide up on the "shaft" because the center hole in the filter is too small. I know the NAPA 1503 is about 1/2" smaller in OD, but how do I get it to go on the shaft?

Many thanks,

Gary

Manassas, VA

Gary,

If you had a filter in it previously? What about taking it to the NAPA Center and using it for duplication. I know their is a filter to replace the one you have.

mike :mack1:

Gary,

The center shaft is about 5/8" in Diamater, the 1503 has a rubber center gasket so it slides down on the center shaft a little tighter than the original but fits nicely on the 1960 707 engine. I also use the same 1503 on the 1954 464 Mack engine. Make sure the mechanic knows that the filter doesn't just drop on the shaft,it does need to be pushed (lightly down) to get the rubber to slide over the center shaft.

The original Napa 1237 was .625" ID, 4.5" OD 8.25"H

The new Napa 1503 is .567" ID 4.092" OD 8.039" H

The difference is about 1/16" on the ID and the rubber gasket expands to allow the center shaft to slide on.

Firemack

As always, many thanks.

Gary

Gary,

The center shaft is about 5/8" in Diamater, the 1503 has a rubber center gasket so it slides down on the center shaft a little tighter than the original but fits nicely on the 1960 707 engine. I also use the same 1503 on the 1954 464 Mack engine. Make sure the mechanic knows that the filter doesn't just drop on the shaft,it does need to be pushed (lightly down) to get the rubber to slide over the center shaft.

The original Napa 1237 was .625" ID, 4.5" OD 8.25"H

The new Napa 1503 is .567" ID 4.092" OD 8.039" H

The difference is about 1/16" on the ID and the rubber gasket expands to allow the center shaft to slide on.

Firemack

Firemack:

Many thanks,

Gary

Manassas, VA

gmbelt:

I have a 1948 w/ a 510A . I believe the set up might be the same. The canister oil filter had a Fram C147...These don't exsist anymore . I tried matching the filter by its size,width, length,dia. of center hole ect. and hydraulic filters seemed to be as close as I could find. My mechanic and cohort said these would work due to the type of oil system on tthe old macks but they run about $15-$30 bucks. My problem on my motor with the NAPA 1503 filter was the outer Diameter of the filter itself. The gasket and center hole fit the tube snug but the filter would drop to the bottom of my canister housing. The inside of the canister had a ridge which the original filters sat on. I used some sheet metal experience and made a disk

that sat on the ridge inside the canister that would hold the 1503 filter at the right hieght to snug into the top mounted on the side of the motor. I put some holes in the disk to allow the oil to flow to the bottom of the canister. It is working sofar

I have lucked out that in the original gasket still works the one that comes with the 1503 doesn't work but we might have to make our own in the future. Hope this help WECO1MACK505