Mack 'll Get You Back

How many of you guys can relate to the title of this topic? I've owned Baby Skiddle (my B61T) for 23 years now and the only time I couldn't make it home was from the accident I had that's in the photo album (actually then when everything stopped and before I saw the damage I was wonderin' how I was gonna back out of those trees). Baby's got her original END673 with an APE injection pump that hasn't been touched since I've owned it, the only thing ever changed have been fuel filters and injector lines. Two weeks ago at low rpm (which is where that truck blows newer higher HP trucks out of the water) she was running rough but would clear up at a faster engine speed. It didn't seem like fuel filters but since that's the fastest cheapest easiest thing to do, I did but no change. Then I went to NJ's annual smoke inspection which Baby passed as always but this time still sputtin' & spittin'. Well, I resigned myself to the thought that after 23 years of faithful service it's probably time for that injection pump & injectors to be rebuilt. Looking under the hood I thought, Wow those fuel lines really look sad and are probably the originals. The original Purolator brass fuel strainer is still hooked up so I decided to put on a new Wix water separator and replace those old Stratoflex fuel lines. Well you guessed it, as I pulled the line that crosses the front of the engine between the strainer and the manual pump it fell apart in my hands. How did this engine still run much less pull a load down the road? With new fuel lines and a new water separator Baby is running as good as ever. I'll bet there's plenty of you guys out there who earn a living with Macks who can relate and I'm sure can add to this topic. Bob

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

I put all new flex lines on my truck from the get go. Most looked pretty old and I didn't want the same demise somewhere on a dark road! I did miss an oil line and it blew on the way to track one day. Lordy what a mess that was....all down the sides of the truck and trailer..>YUK!

Borrowed some line from track owner to patch it up and then put new on it when I got home.

I've already put a separate fuel/water separator on truck to help out(screw on type).

I've always wondered about my inj pump also. Everything looks pretty original, including all the steel lines and I've wondered about doing a PM on it and just get it all redone to eliminate chances? But it runs so well, I hate to screw with it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I put all new flex lines on my truck from the get go. Most looked pretty old and I didn't want the same demise somewhere on a dark road! I did miss an oil line and it blew on the way to track one day. Lordy what a mess that was....all down the sides of the truck and trailer..>YUK!

Borrowed some line from track owner to patch it up and then put new on it when I got home.

I've already put a separate fuel/water separator on truck to help out(screw on type).

I've always wondered about my inj pump also. Everything looks pretty original, including all the steel lines and I've wondered about doing a PM on it and just get it all redone to eliminate chances? But it runs so well, I hate to screw with it.

Hi Freight, I know what you mean, my little 450C JD dozer ran great until the dealer insisted the injection pump had to be entirely rebuilt when it only had a minor internal leak. Now it's been screwed up ever since so Packer is right when he said (I think) " If it ain't broke, fix it until it is." Anyway, another good story about "Baby" happened about 15 years ago. I put some bad fuel in the tank and knew it when the filters clogged stranding me on the road. At the time I had a cast on my left arm covering my hand to the elbow (lots of fun driving a "B" like that) and I had no one to call for help. I put a garbage bag over the cast, took off both filters (original can type) and banged the elements on the curb. Put them back together, primed her up and you guessed it, she fired right up and ran all the way home without a problem. Nothing like a B model :mack1::thumb: Bob

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!