Having Motor Problems Need Help

Hello all hope everyone enjoys the 3 day weekend :)

Well I have to say I am glad to come across this site and hope to be a good contributor to it.

Well off to my first question.....I have a 1997 E-7 350 (this is my first and only Truck) I have had this Mack for 3 yrs now and has never given me any problems until the past few weeks. I work construction(Mack is a dump truck) so when we started work up 3 weeks ago the first few days it would have a slight hesitation in higher rpms around 1500 or so I thought maybe water got into the fuel So I emptied out the fuel filters to see if any water was in them and tank also but found no water well the problems went away until this past week same thing happens but now its a little more violent than before, it almost seems as if just for a split second the fuel is cut off I cant really tell if it is fuel problem or maybe a turbo problem other than that it runs fine. The injector pump has always had a slight leak and over the three yrs I have had it If it idles for a period of time and I engage the PTO to lift the bed blue smoke comes out of the stack so I think it might always have had a leaky injector. So I guess my question is what are some things I could look at myself before I fork over money I dont have and take it to the shop. I am not an accomplished mechanic by no means but I can do some things just need some guidance. :)

Thanks for looking at my post and any help is greatly appreciated. B)

Edited by metalwarrior

I had trouble similar to yours with my n14 cummins. We had cut the fuel tank and shortened it, and didn't get it cleaned out good. I figured the filter would catch everything. It did, but not soon enough in line. Got to where it would skip, buck and jump. Here on the n14 the fuel runs thru the computer to cool it. All the shavings and such got trapped in there and cut the fuel supply short. I took the lines off and blew it out with air and it has been fine ever since. Not familiar with the newer Macks but maybe something similar.

Bob

I just hope its not the injector pump or turbo from what I hear when a turbo starts to go bad there is no signs it just goes bad so that would lead me to the injector pump or maybe bad injector(s) dunno how to tell or what my first steps should be to figure the problem thats where I need some guidance ohh btw it idles just fine..

Edited by metalwarrior

Hello all hope everyone enjoys the 3 day weekend :)

Well I have to say I am glad to come across this site and hope to be a good contributor to it.

Well off to my first question.....I have a 1997 E-7 350 (this is my first and only Truck) I have had this Mack for 3 yrs now and has never given me any problems until the past few weeks. I work construction(Mack is a dump truck) so when we started work up 3 weeks ago the first few days it would have a slight hesitation in higher rpms around 1500 or so I thought maybe water got into the fuel So I emptied out the fuel filters to see if any water was in them and tank also but found no water well the problems went away until this past week same thing happens but now its a little more violent than before, it almost seems as if just for a split second the fuel is cut off I cant really tell if it is fuel problem or maybe a turbo problem other than that it runs fine. The injector pump has always had a slight leak and over the three yrs I have had it If it idles for a period of time and I engage the PTO to lift the bed blue smoke comes out of the stack so I think it might always have had a leaky injector. So I guess my question is what are some things I could look at myself before I fork over money I dont have and take it to the shop. I am not an accomplished mechanic by no means but I can do some things just need some guidance. :)

Thanks for looking at my post and any help is greatly appreciated. B)

Is the engine an eteck e7 six small fuel pumps or a standard e7 one large fuel pump ?Electric or non electric?

If you have the large electric fuel pump look for any worn wires leading to the tdc marker located at the side rear of the pump two wire plug! Next same pump there should be a big round plug 8 wires or so unlock the the lock ring 1/8 turn backwards and unplug and replug that plug 1/2 a dozen times and relock it and try it for several days c if the problem goes away if it does take it to a dealer and have them re pin both sides of that plug!

good luck with it keep us informed we still may be able to help.

Fred

have you noticed that your speedo dies for a split second or has a slight jump when this happens, check your positioin censor, front right of block, pear shaped with a single bolt going through it, when you find it sometimes hidden kinda behind wires, pull it out clean it and if it has 1 gasket on it add another gasket on top of old(2 gaskets) and reinstall. If it has 2 gaskets remove 1 and try it. I have done this to many E7 & etech. good luck

Edited by bobo

Thanks for the response I will do both tomorrow and let you fellas know by the end of the week if I am still having the same problem or not...thx again Chicago land is calling for rain the next 2 days So I might not be able to get it out and going until Wed. or so but I'll let you guys know.

Before you do anything grab that big round plug that goes to the injection pump with the truck at idle and wiggle it around. See if your engine doesnt start to stumble and carry on. If it does, you found your problem. All of them that I have seen like that had to have the actual plug ends replaced because the pin locks in them had worn and were letting the pins back out. I also change the pins at the same time as well.