Backup Switch For Gear Selector (automatic)

Hey All,

First time visitor and I hope thisis the appropriate place to inquire about this. If not please let me know where I might need to be....

We recently acquired a 1982 Mack tanker from the Minnesota DNR. This truck started it's life as a 5000 gallon jet fueler from the USAF. The DNR offers these used trucks free to fire departments "as is". We had the chassis chopped down and we've spent the last months wiring it up as needed.

Well, it's nearly complete except for one critical problem. Not only does it not have a back up alarm, it has no reverse lights whatsoever. I pulled the cover off the gear selector and saw there's a switch in place for the Neutral position (which I assume is a safety switch) and noticed what looked like a spot to mount the same switch type for the reverse position.

I know what you're all thinking, but I can't seem to get in there to get the other switch out. Nor can I risk disabling the second out fire truck for any amount of time. I have some pics of the example I will add when I get in to work tomorrow.

Anyone know what part I'm after? Part #? Where I can get it? I talked to Napa and they had something in the ballpark (part # NS6581) but nothing that appeared to mount from the side (or lacking an L shape to mount it vertically)

The info I do have off the truck, for what it's worth:

1982 Mack

VIN# 1M2B112C3CA001981

TRANS: 11KBAH185RP4

CHASSIS: BR549

Any info is much appreciated! Thanks!!!

Looks like you have a model: DM492S there! It should have an Allison MT643 Tranny...I can't look up parts for the Allisons, but you should be able to call any Allison dealer for the back up switch.

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

Howdy! The back up switch on that trans should be located on the passenger side. Forward and up a few inches of the dip stick tube. If I had to guess it has screw in plug and just needs to be unsrewed and screw the new switch in. It uses a hydralic pressure switch kinda like a brake light switch on the old ford cars and trucks. In a pinch I have used a pressure switch from a CAT front end loader. I would say contact United Transmission Exchange out there in Calf. and they will set ya up with the right switch for around 20 bucks or so +/- They are a wealth of info and parts.

:pat: Oh I almost fergot, If there is fluid in the trans. dont remove the plug while the engine is off or all the fluid will pour out, Maybe if yer quick enuf with the installation you wont loose all your fluid. I usually leave the truck running shifter in "N" brakes set with chocks parked over the pit in the barn, and swap the switch out. With the truck at idle in "N" there will be no hyd. pressure applied the Reverse circuit in the trans. therefore no oil to come out. :blink:

UTXchange.com

Phone 1-800-527-1637

Fax 909-384-8145

Thanks for the info!

I assume this is where you're tellin me to go? http://www.utxchange.com/Allison%20Transmi....%20Switch.html

So the switch is down in the transmission itself? I guess I just assumed that the box in the cab would contain that. Anyone know if I'm wrong on that switch I took the picture of then? \

I'll have to call these guys and see if they can hook me up next.

Thanks for the info!

I assume this is where you're tellin me to go? http://www.utxchange.com/Allison%20Transmi....%20Switch.html

So the switch is down in the transmission itself? I guess I just assumed that the box in the cab would contain that. Anyone know if I'm wrong on that switch I took the picture of then? \

I'll have to call these guys and see if they can hook me up next.

Sorry for the double post earlier.

I called them up and ordered the universal Allison transmission back up switch for the side of the housing. AutomaticMack I'm going to be going off of your info, if there's anything more info I can get, let me know!!

Thanks Again!!

Just an update:

I went under the truck and looked for the spot and found it right where you said it'd be....and there was already a switch there. I have no idea what it could be going to. I tried to trace the wires back but it wasn't that easy.

I tested the voltage with the truck running in and out of Reverse and found it was working so I will probably just splice what I need onto the wires that are there.

Thanks!