Timing Problem With E7-400

Hi, i have a problem with the timing on a E7-400. Engine did not like 8 degrees static timing, it smokes very bad with a strong miss. The only position where engine runs without smoke in idle but still with a miss in high speed and lack of power is from 20 !! degress static timing. Computer sets code 35 (timing actuator).I checked all the wiring and conectors, changed the complete econovance unit two times to be sure. With these 20 degrees timing scanner displays 23 at idle to 31!! at high idle with the econovance plug disconected. If anyone could help please

Hi, i have a problem with the timing on a E7-400. Engine did not like 8 degrees static timing, it smokes very bad with a strong miss. The only position where engine runs without smoke in idle but still with a miss in high speed and lack of power is from 20 !! degress static timing. Computer sets code 35 (timing actuator).I checked all the wiring and conectors, changed the complete econovance unit two times to be sure. With these 20 degrees timing scanner displays 23 at idle to 31!! at high idle with the econovance plug disconected. If anyone could help please

? how are you setting the timing! With what? I have run across engines( fuel pumps) where the tone wheel inside the pump has sliped and the engine does not know where its at!The puter gets its timing event from the plug on the side rear of the pump!the engine should stumble and sputter till the oil preasure comes up then it should clean up!The timing should be set static at 8 with the tone tab in the window where the event marker goes!Apply 12 volts to the timing acuator if the advance if it is working the engine will clean up and run smoother.if it doesent the timing sol is not working.

The puter gets its timing event from the plug on the side rear of the pump!the engine should stumble and sputter till the oil preasure comes up then it should clean up!.

Is there a way to eliminate the 'econovance' so my truck doesn't go into a 1000 rpm smoke show on a cold start right after turning the key...? Or do I need an E-tech to have the smooth jump to 650 rpm at start up...

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Is there a way to eliminate the 'econovance' so my truck doesn't go into a 1000 rpm smoke show on a cold start right after turning the key...? Or do I need an E-tech to have the smooth jump to 650 rpm at start up...

The engine needs oil preasure to power the econovance into an advanced timing to eliminate the smoke.

? how are you setting the timing! With what? I have run across engines( fuel pumps) where the tone wheel inside the pump has sliped and the engine does not know where its at!The puter gets its timing event from the plug on the side rear of the pump!the engine should stumble and sputter till the oil preasure comes up then it should clean up!The timing should be set static at 8 with the tone tab in the window where the event marker goes!Apply 12 volts to the timing acuator if the advance if it is working the engine will clean up and run smoother.if it doesent the timing sol is not working.

fjh:

I moved the sensor on the pump upwards to retard and all started working again. Econovance is working and in timing range again. Truck has good power again.

I timed the pump to 8 with with the tap on the sensor window and the marks on the flywheel, and scanner say 11 at idle. You think i shout send the pump to a diesel lab to verify the position of the tone wheel ?.

Thank you

Klaus

fjh:

I moved the sensor on the pump upwards to retard and all started working again. Econovance is working and in timing range again. Truck has good power again.

I timed the pump to 8 with with the tap on the sensor window and the marks on the flywheel, and scanner say 11 at idle. You think i shout send the pump to a diesel lab to verify the position of the tone wheel ?.

Thank you

Klaus

If you had the tab centered in the window @ 8 you should be ok to go if it seems alright probably is! 12 is normal idle timing Its running close to where it should for timing electricly the static is what will cause greif it needs to know where to start from. Or if that tone wheel has slipped it will ping and rattle or it will smoke retarded. it sounds like your ok ifits not pingng or smoking.If this all changes with out notice you will have to have the pump checked!otherwise leave it!