Power Leash

I have a AI-427.... and was wondering when my jake activates is there a amount of time you can leave it activated? Like going down a hill, would it be ok for the jake to help brake for like 2 minutes? And I was also wondering if anybody uses their jake while empty? I use it on LO when im empty, is that bad? And the last question is, does the jake lose its effectiveness over time? The motor has 170,000 miles on it, does it need a rebuild.

I use my jake ALL the time wether loaded or empty. Usually on hi or med. But my truck weight 34000 lbs empty. Using the jake empty isn't bad. Sometimes you have to be careful with it in slippery conditions. The wheels could slide causeing you to possibly lose control. On my Autocar with an N14 however it has ABS brakes and when the wheels slip a little tiny itsey bitsey bit it shuts the jake off. Kind of a pain in the woods but...

As far as useing it for a long time, I wouldn't think it would hurt it. Thats what they were made to do. I suppose it it was bad for the engine the truck companies would have put timers on the engines so the brakes shut off automatically.

And for a rebuild, After a very long time they get weaker, as does everything else. I would think it would last at least as long as the engine without a rebuild. Not sure, but my guess.

Bob

Get the overhead run once in a while and have the jake adjusted at the same time.

I used to drive a truck with an ISM Cummins motor and if you ran the jake for an extended period of time it would kick on the engine fan to create even more drag...

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg