Rears Dogtracking

greg

My truck has 44 rears with bronze bushings, their not worn too bad , they only move about an inch on hard turn on asphalt but they are out of line. I measured from center of front axel to the front rearend and it was 1 inch forward on the passenger side, so I measured to the back rearend , same thing. The trunion tube is not bent , but if I measure from crossmember to the trunion stand it's not in square , about half to three quarters of an inch off. Did I mention my truck is a rebuilt? I think they put new frame rails in and didn't put the stand in square.

Do they make offset urethane blocks that will put it back in line or do I have to redrill the trunion and square it up?

You really need to get your hands on the shop manual for alingment of the tandems. It tells how to measure, lay out and aling things.

Start with the springs- look for broken leaves any other problem and then go for the alingment procedures.

I got my frame book off of ebay for about $ 50.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

My truck has 44 rears with bronze bushings, their not worn too bad , they only move about an inch on hard turn on asphalt but they are out of line. I measured from center of front axel to the front rearend and it was 1 inch forward on the passenger side, so I measured to the back rearend , same thing. The trunion tube is not bent , but if I measure from crossmember to the trunion stand it's not in square , about half to three quarters of an inch off. Did I mention my truck is a rebuilt? I think they put new frame rails in and didn't put the stand in square.

Do they make offset urethane blocks that will put it back in line or do I have to redrill the trunion and square it up?

Gday Greg,

I'm running SS441 suspension with the usual standard springs etc. It appears though that my truck has an alignment problem also. The distance between the axle centre ends on one side is approx 30mm greater than the other, and both axles on the LHS are some 12 - 15 mm further back than the RHS. I've studied the SS44 parts list for 44000lb rated rear ends and found some "Special Offset Lower Insulator Pads" (PN 10QK48 or Euclid E-3919). The height of the trunion axle at each end is different too, indicating spring curve or wear is uneven. I too am looking for the easy way out to square it up and expect these insulator pads to be the answer but the next question is, how many? Bottom only? Or is there a requirement to have matching top and bottom pads? How far does the "offset" at the insulator pad move the axle fwd or back? Are these pads reversible in installation to move either fwd or back?

Tony M

Hi tony

I just replaced all springs and rubber blocks, turns out my bronze bushings were wore out on one side pushing the springs on the spindle to one side. I checked into getting the offset bushings but the spring man told me it was a waste of money, because they are considerably more money than the regular blocks and usually don't fix the problem.

My rears are still out of line but I recently found out that they did put new frame rails in about 12 years ago , and apparently the person they hired didn't square it up, they just lived with the problem like I have for the past year. Just measured and it out by 1/2 inch, gotta drill new holes and move rears forward on one side.

greg