B Model Air Brakes

Lmackattack

Can someone point me in the right direction here. Im thinking this might be able to be a Sticky when were done if we can get some good advice on what our old macks need when converting them over to spring brakes. I have done nothing more than simple air brake repairs and maintence before so alot of this is news to me

I have a basic under standing how air brakes work but have little clue how the specific relay/valves get plumbed into the trucks system. The compressor,air tanks,Dryer,chambers are a no brainer but the tractor protection valve,treadle, relays, bob tail valve,quick release valve, check valve locations are confusing to follow as they all seam to intersect at some point. My under standing is that if there is 2 seaprate systems (service and Parking) then they should stay seaprate!!! but that looks like its not true?

What im looking for is guidance to what these old trucks need to be plumbed correctly. I see on the bendix site that you have all sorts of options. I just want a simple set up that works and is easy to follow.

My B model has no steer axel brakes but has spring brake /service chambers on the forward Rear tandem and service only on the Rear rear tandem.

what im looking for is simplicity

a treadle that only supplys to the rear of the truck and trailer axels

dash valve that is simple like the bendix CV3 (yellow and red only)

relay and quick release that stop the truck or park it.

SIMPLICITY!!!!

any help is great and start where you want?

thanks

Trent

Trent,

The Bendix manual (available online) has several diagrams that outline brake systems

for a multitude of different uses. (straight truck, single or tandem axles, trailers etc.).

The diagrams are available in color, if you have a color printer. That makes life a lot easier,

if you are planning modifications.

They provide a good starting point and give you the valve names and part numbers.

It's probably the simplest way to go, and still get a properly designed system.

You can easily eliminate the plumbing for your front brakes per the diagram.

Good Luck.

Paul Van Scott