Help; With Mid-liner 8.8l Ip-timing, Pump Hub/drive Setup

howdy guys,

I could sure use some help on this....

My truck is a 1985 Mack Mid-liner MS300P 8.8L turbodiesel 6-speed.

- Engine is: MIDR 06.20.30 SN 01418LE 204 hp @ 2300 rpm

- IP, Injection Pump; Bosch PES6P-120A320RS417

I bought this in the winter, spent some time getting my little knuckleboom and bed mounted, and am now working on getting her 'up to speed'.

The only 'mechanical' problem I've got is that the truck chokes/stumbles and smokes a white cloud for the first 10 minutes when cold. It acts as though the IP timing is very retarded.

So, after looking at the adjustment-procedure in the service-manual, I figured it'd be pretty easy to pop off the inspection-plate and advance the pump 2-3 degrees and see if that reduces the smoke.

But the IP shaft/hub setup on my engine does not match what's shown in the Mack manual.....at all !

The book shows a simple hub and gear....with 4 bolts to hold them clamped together...and 4 slotted bolt-holes in the hub....to allow adjustment of the hub/pump relative to the gear.

But on my engine, it's not a simple hub-gear at all.....mine has some kind of mechanism (I think) on it....two big pieces spring-loaded toward each other (toward the center)......maybe some kind of RPM-based centrifigual timing-changer ?

I managed to get the camera in there and get a pic...

http://www.oregonstone.com/mack3.html

I also posted a pic of the picture printed in the manual.....showing what the book thinks is there...lol.

In fact, the inspection-cover itself doesn't even match the book. The manual shows a 4-stud setup....but mine has 6 holes....with socket-head bolts going into threads tapped in the timing-case cover.

Note: there was a 6" diameter steel disc on the nose of the shaft, in front of the mechanism that's visible in the pic. This disc was held on by a big snap-ring, and rotates freely when in place. I removed the disc to get this picture.

Has anyone seen this mechanism before on any PE pump on any brand of engine/truck?

I'd very much like to get hold of an adjustment procedure from a service-manual before I even begin to mess with it.

Note; the "Mack Custom Manual" binders that I got with the truck include an "Engine" section for model MIDS 06.20.30......and the data-plate on my engine says MIDR...rest of number the same. But everything in the book has matched my motor exactly...until now...

Richard

post-3504-1238981893_thumb.jpg

post-3504-1238981933_thumb.jpg

post-3504-1238982006_thumb.jpg

1985 Mack MS-300T, 8.8L MIDR06.20.30, 6spd BDSL-181, 250kmi

1991 F350 4x4, 7.3L IDI, 5spd, 4.11 posi

1988 D50 4x4, Mitsubishi 2.4L TD, 5spd

1961 CAT 966B, D333

1984 Hitachi UH-082, 40klb, Hino 6-inline

• 11 years later...