Anyone Have Information On Air Throttles

ThaddeusW

I was just looking around and saw a post about an air throttle. I am guessing the accelerator is a pressure regulator that sends an air signal to a piston with a spring. The harder you press the more air pressure the further the piston extends against the spring moving the throttle lever on the pump :SMOKIE-LFT: .

What engines used them and are they hard to fix/replace? And if anyone has a picture of the setup that would be great.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

A lot of the air throttles use what looks like a regular brake pedal. They work OK, other than a rough off idle to power transition due to the air system having a crack pressure of 5 psi or so. This was a concern on single axle MRs bobtailing with only 4000 pounds on the rear axle in ice and snow because it set the wheels spinning pulling away from a stop, but with a trailer on it's no problem. As far as not being able to give it some throttle for a cold start when the air tanks were empty... We had air starters so we had to air them up anyways!

A lot of the air throttles use what looks like a regular brake pedal. They work OK, other than a rough off idle to power transition due to the air system having a crack pressure of 5 psi or so. This was a concern on single axle MRs bobtailing with only 4000 pounds on the rear axle in ice and snow because it set the wheels spinning pulling away from a stop, but with a trailer on it's no problem. As far as not being able to give it some throttle for a cold start when the air tanks were empty... We had air starters so we had to air them up anyways!

I'm going to have to replace mine soon. when you stomp on it, it squeals bad and the're expensive. Always something to keep you busy and your pocket lite,Tim