2010 Epa Soltion Debate

Can anyone do an in-full real study about SCR vs ADVANCED EGR ?????

One truck company claims:

Next year you'll have two choices when you purchase a vehicle: a vehicle that reduces emissions in the engine cylinder (advanced EGR), and a vehicle that reduces emissions by adding a second fuel (urea) through an after-treatment system (SCR). With the advanced EGR solution, operating and maintenance requirements don't change for your drivers or mechanics. Compare this to the SCR solution, where changes include significant add-on after-treatment equipment, additional attention from your drivers and new maintenance and servicing requirements for your technicians. With SCR, the burden on you is clear, and that's why we believe advanced EGR just makes sense.

:unsure:

:mack1: has selected to o with SELECTIVE CATALITYC REDUCTION.

Competitor is on camping to scare people about technologies such as SCR.

Please do a complete TOPIC about this theme.

I WOULD GO WITH :mack1: SINCE I DO NOT LIKE ANY PRODUCT THAT "COMPETITOR" MAKES

Mack has been testing SCR for several years. The shop that does my heavy work does the service work for the factory test trucks. I happened to stagger in there one day when they had one in there. What a mess of sensors, plumbing and stuff on that truck. It was a Vision with a 460.

The scuttlebutt is that SCR will use about 15% EGR VS 30% or more without SCR. That seems to be the issue. Get that EGR reduced to bring back fuel mileage and dependability. Also, a whole new industry will be developed.The DEF (Urea) will need a distribution system ETC......

Of course, we could all get Rob to pee in our DEF tanks................19.gif

My 'ol dog has a bite worse than it's bark!!!!!!!!

Ummmmm....Is this the number I dialed????????

From what I have gathered so far in this debate, the main advantage to SCR is decreased underhood temperatures. The increasing temperatures resulting from EGR has been an issue since 2002 when EGR began. Not only cooling the actual engine, but also the effects of heat on belts, hoses and electronics. By lowering the percentage of EGR and aftertreating emmisions utilizing SCR in the exhaust, the temperature underhood can be reduced. My first reaction to SCR was one of dismissal, but after educating myself on PRO's and CON's of EGR vs. SCR, in my humble opinion SCR is the best solution to this latest mandate. This is one area where Volvo has provided a benefit to Mack customers. These SCR systems have been in use in Europe for some time now. Most of the R&D work is already done. Remember who created this mess in the first place- YOUR federal government! Let's not be mad at the manufacturers; they are doing their best to keep up with the program set before them.