Hi all,

My buddy and I have been eyeing up a couple dumps in the area for possible resto. The question I have is, these models are all DM's, (late 60's models) some of them have the tilt hood, and some have the "butterfly hoods, both with offset cabs. Was this a customer specification, or did Mack stop making the butterflies, or were they made together at the same time? We are looking to getting the butterfly hood, due to its more rugged, utilitarian look. I thought the tilt hoods were U models, but looking at the VIN plates, I was wrong. Some insight on this dilemma please! :wacko:

Happy new year,

Russ

Hi all,

My buddy and I have been eyeing up a couple dumps in the area for possible resto. The question I have is, these models are all DM's, (late 60's models) some of them have the tilt hood, and some have the "butterfly hoods, both with offset cabs. Was this a customer specification, or did Mack stop making the butterflies, or were they made together at the same time? We are looking to getting the butterfly hood, due to its more rugged, utilitarian look. I thought the tilt hoods were U models, but looking at the VIN plates, I was wrong. Some insight on this dilemma please! :wacko:

Happy new year,

Russ

Hi Russ, the U model is basically an R model with an offset cab. The DM is a different chassis altogether. Hope this clarifies a few things for you. Regards Jeffro