Cdl Question

Hi i was wondering how old i have to be to get my class A CDL i live in New Jersey

You may apply for a Class A at age 18, but it is only good in state and you can"t transport hazmat until age 21. You also find anything on line including a down loadable CDL manual by doing a Google search for "New Jersey Commercial vehicles".

Hi i was wondering how old i have to be to get my class A CDL i live in New Jersey

You may apply for a Class A at age 18, but it is only good in state and you can"t transport hazmat until age 21. You also find anything on line including a down loadable CDL manual by doing a Google search for "New Jersey Commercial vehicles".

Each state has a different view with old trucks. Some allow driving it with a "historic" license and you won't need a Class A CDL. Others don't allow it and you have to have a truck truck plate and CDL.

Not usually too helpful to call your local place as the person that answers the phone will give you a different variation(their interruptation) of the law.

To reinstate your CDL, you'll have to take the WHOLE test over again(likely).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

As far as I know, the CDL laws are mandated by federal law and are the same state to state. It should list your limitations on the back of your license. But it goes by the GVWR of the vehicle and what the vehicle was designed for, ie commercial vehicle. So if the GVWR (gross veh weight rating) is above 26,000 lbs, you need a class B CDL and if you add a trailer with a GVWR over 10,000 lbs, you then need a CDL A.

Vehicles manufactured as motorhomes/campers got exempted from this cause of a strong lobby effort.

I'm Restoring a b61 Mack And wondering when I'm done can I drive it with class R license I'm planning to reinstate my class A with this truck What rules and regulations do i need to go by. I live in colorado.

As far as I know, the CDL laws are mandated by federal law and are the same state to state. It should list your limitations on the back of your license. But it goes by the GVWR of the vehicle and what the vehicle was designed for, ie commercial vehicle. So if the GVWR (gross veh weight rating) is above 26,000 lbs, you need a class B CDL and if you add a trailer with a GVWR over 10,000 lbs, you then need a CDL A.

Vehicles manufactured as motorhomes/campers got exempted from this cause of a strong lobby effort.

Thanks guys for the help. I talk to a couple of drivers and they told me to license it as a motor home and put NOT FOR HIRE on the truck until I Do the driving test. also stay under 26,000 I'm planning to use truck for commercial use in the future. Pics of my truck in process of the build are in my album check it out. :mack1:

Check with your local licensing. Being a "motorhome" will make you install a sink/stove/portapot/etc. You can plate it as a truck for under 26K lbs, which "SHOULD" remove you from CDL? Maybe? Such a grey area, with multiple opinions.

Good luck with it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Reinstating your class A is the best plan. By doing so you eliminate any Grey area. A word to the wise, concerning registration, if Colorado wont let you register it as a historical vehicle, at least register it under 54,999. Above that you become liable for Federal Road Use Tax. Like the man said, every state is different. My state, Georgia, has a cut off limit of 14,000 lb. for historical plates.