Strange Clicking

I just replaced a Voltage Regulator on one of my B-61's. The truck ran fine when it was not hooked up...but now that I have all wires connected, the truck wont start. When the starter button is pushed, there is a strange clicking noise under what seems to be the drivers seat. after a few tries of this, I melted a terminal off one of the batteries (switched from 4-6volts to 2-12volts). I dissconnected the regulator but the noise continues. Any Ideas?

Hi Guy, The biggest problem through the years with my B has been the wiring. The clicking noise under the seat is either the series paralell switch or the solenoid. Better get a wiring schematic to make sure everything is connected right and then check out the wiring itself for shorts. Next is the paralell switch itself which could have an internal short. Some parts for the switch are no longer available and if that's your case a newer style switch can be wired in or change the whole thing over to 12 volt starting. That's what I'm about ready to do. The B's are a great truck but the electrical system is their weak spot. Good luck!

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

The S/P switch should be a gone item if you switched to 12 volt.

If you left the S/P switch in and hooked everything back as a 24 volt system, - - - you might melt a battery post off and have a clicking sound under the passenger seat! (I ain't laffin)

Electrical systems are a killer; they are not forgiving, they work like you tell them but maybe not as you want, and if you goof up too badly, all the magic smoke escapes!

Good luck and hang in there! Before you're through, you WILL know the wireing system, even if no one else does.

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

This is the outfit that I contacted by phone who were very helpful:

Mack Trucks Historical Museum

997 Postal Rd.

Allentown, PA 18103

610-266-6767, Fax 610-266-6823

Also older Motors Truck Manuals will give you some info and can be found inexpensively on Ebay. I tried clicking on your web site JD, but it didn't come up. I'm always open to new sources of parts and info.

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

Thanks for the help. I got the truck started by checking all the connections for the main wire. It seems I had a short going from one battery to the parrallel switch. New battery and tight bolts and vroom....its started. Thanks for the help and Ill look into getting a skemattic