Mp7 Eating injectors

Hopefully someone can offer some advise here. 

Short story is i originally replaced injectors and cups, along with engine harness. Truck ran for 700 miles then came in for injector 4 offset learning at minimum limit, and had a dead miss in #4. 

I replaced number 4 injector,truck ran great on test drive. Customer comes to pick up the truck and as soon as he starts it, dead miss in number 4 with the same offset code. 

Anybody run into this before? I've replaced hundreds of mp injectors without issue. I'm having a hard time believing I've got 2 bad injectors on the same hole. 

2 hours ago, steeler said:

Hopefully someone can offer some advise here. 

Short story is i originally replaced injectors and cups, along with engine harness. Truck ran for 700 miles then came in for injector 4 offset learning at minimum limit, and had a dead miss in #4. 

I replaced number 4 injector,truck ran great on test drive. Customer comes to pick up the truck and as soon as he starts it, dead miss in number 4 with the same offset code. 

Anybody run into this before? I've replaced hundreds of mp injectors without issue. I'm having a hard time believing I've got 2 bad injectors on the same hole. 

Did you run compression/ cylinder balance test ? Or do You assume you have a bad injector! have run into the odd bad valve!

• Like 1

Boss doesn't want to take the time to swap. I just now got back on the truck, been putting out other fires. 

So I've got another new injector and cup. But this cup has about 20 minutes of run time on it. I'm super tempted to slam the new injector in without changing the cup. I know that's a no no though lol

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, steeler said:

Replaced number 4 injector again ran great for 20 minutes and crapped out again. 

Mannn! Frustrating! Do the swap! Got to prove its electrical ! In my mind! Did you pin the plug ?

55 minutes ago, steeler said:

Replaced number 4 injector again ran great for 20 minutes and crapped out again. 

Mannn! Frustrating! Do the swap! Got to prove its electrical ! In my mind! Did you pin the plug ? Ignore the boss do the swap !

Going to swap 3 and 4 and see if the miss goes with it. If it does, then I'm really bumfuzzled as to what is causing it. 

It isn't throwing an electrical code, just the learning at limit code. Really strange. I'll find out in the morning. 

2 hours ago, steeler said:

Going to swap 3 and 4 and see if the miss goes with it. If it does, then I'm really bumfuzzled as to what is causing it. 

It isn't throwing an electrical code, just the learning at limit code. Really strange. I'll find out in the morning. 

Trim code installed ? Each time? Can you do a reflash on the ecu? Maybe something has gone sideways in there!?

Yes sir, trim codes programed every time, along with function parameter reset. I can reflash the ecu. I think I'm going to be headed that direction either way at this point. 

• Like 1

Trim code installed ? Each time? Can you do a Reflash on the ecu? Maybe something has gone sideways in there!?  The learning at limit thing is an odd statement Kinda  points to a programing thing in my mind! something is not making sense to the  ECU and it is shutting down number 4! But just me I'm a Gray engine Guy only Dabbled in MP stuff! 

You Might tri Reflash first before swapping or  getting the parts canon out again Stupider things have happened! we had ECUs do weird things before and it sounds heat related! from what you've been saying! 😡 and less labor intensive! cup of coffee and your Eyeballs is all that's entailed !🙄😁

Ok, swapped injectors, this time it was missing tight off the bat, same hole. 

I hooked up a test ecu, although from a 2009 truck, this one is a 2015. Ran great with teddy ecu, hooked up original one, still missing. So... Tried to reflash but tech tool won't allow it since the ecu already has a chassis ID programed, only new control units can be programmed. 

Software is up to date, so the only way to reinstall the software is to use the replace hardware function, which it won't let me do unless it's a clean ecu. 

This must be a new thing? I've programmed used ecus before without issue. 

Looks like I need a new ecu, but I think we are looking at the backorder game now. 

• Sad 1

Well at least your not chasing your tail now! 😪🙄

Back order ECUs Possibly  suggests to me there has been issues ! Suspicious! Did you try reflashing the trucks original numbers matching ecu ? Don't think you can reflash a donor!

On 3/8/2024 at 10:33 AM, steeler said:

Ok, swapped injectors, this time it was missing tight off the bat, same hole. 

I hooked up a test ecu, although from a 2009 truck, this one is a 2015. Ran great with teddy ecu, hooked up original one, still missing. So... Tried to reflash but tech tool won't allow it since the ecu already has a chassis ID programed, only new control units can be programmed. 

Software is up to date, so the only way to reinstall the software is to use the replace hardware function, which it won't let me do unless it's a clean ecu. 

This must be a new thing? I've programmed used ecus before without issue. 

Looks like I need a new ecu, but I think we are looking at the backorder game now. 

If you shoot me your VIN, I can see if there's anything I can help with. I occasionally see miracles every now and then!

On 3/8/2024 at 11:20 AM, fjh said:

Well at least your not chasing your tail now! 😪🙄

Back order ECUs Possibly  suggests to me there has been issues ! Suspicious! Did you try reflashing the trucks original numbers matching ecu ? Don't think you can reflash a donor!

Volvo has issues with keeping anything in stock, much less parts that commonly go out. Imagine how you'd feel when the dealer you just bought your brand new truck tells you they issued a recall but parts are at least a month out! Or taking your SCR equipped truck in for an MIL only to learn they updated the DEF Level Sending Unit to require a pigtail that's more than a month out! 

• Like 1

That a boy you! Start Diggin Bro! 👍👌 

Yup! Opps!  forgot to to tell ya! Your truck has to be parked for a month till we get a new BACKORDERED whatsit for the dilithium crystal generator! ! thanx for choosing Volvo Equipment!🤣

Sorry for the delay! Yes just came in today, hooked it up, and guess what! Still missing on 4!

Hooked test ecu back up, runs great. WTH. 

Surely there isn't anything parameter wise that got carried over to the new ecu causing this. I'm wishing now that I would have just programed the new ecu without transferring anything at all from the old one, but too late now. Once it's programmed, that's it, can't change anything other than software updates. 

Really scratching my head as to what would be different with these 2 ecus that could cause a miss on number 4.coming up empty in my head. 

18 hours ago, steeler said:

Sorry for the delay! Yes just came in today, hooked it up, and guess what! Still missing on 4!

Hooked test ecu back up, runs great. WTH. 

Surely there isn't anything parameter wise that got carried over to the new ecu causing this. I'm wishing now that I would have just programed the new ecu without transferring anything at all from the old one, but too late now. Once it's programmed, that's it, can't change anything other than software updates. 

Really scratching my head as to what would be different with these 2 ecus that could cause a miss on number 4.coming up empty in my head. 

Oh boy !🙄 that's a real head scratcher ! Does the new ECU throw up the same code! learning at limit code? Would be nice to know what that comment means!  I'm sure some guru knows something!? Is there a learned Data reset in the program for this year of truck? I haven't dealt with this stuff personally However seen it done many times! by the other guru types at our shop!