Mack ea7 470 water pump leak at weep hole

I had the water pump replaced in Nov 2022 at mack dealer due to bearing fail and they used a remack pump.

i use the truck once a week to do a 120 km round trip to pick up 12 tonne of manure and bring it home. All has been going well untill i went to drive it yesterday. I saw the water level in top header tank was empty so i filled it with coolant and it immediately started leaking out the weep hole on water pump. I ran truck for 20 minutes and it was a slow constant dribble out the hole. I pulled the air bleed hose from top radiator hose to header tank off and cleaned it out with a brake cable inner wire and cordless drill as it was blocked again with some type of anti leak stuff it a very small line and blocks every now and then. So after running for 20 minutes or so the leak was still there. I called the dealer and asked if they had another pump and they sent one on a courier which i picked up this morning. 

im not sure whats going on as I did my usual trip yesterday and the pump leaked for the first 50km then stopped leaking? 

came home and still not leaking. Checked coolant level this morning and still full.

so now I have the new $650 remack waterpump here in my hand but my trucks not leaking now but was yesterday.

This is an exchange pump so the dealer will need my old pump back but I don’t even know wether to pull the pull the pump out and replace it or what to do.

I mean if the rear bearing or seal is gone I can’t see how its fixed itself on a 50km run. 

my guess is that the seal is damaged and the stopleak in the system has temporarily repaired it or a piece of crap has somehow got underneath the seal and has now rubbed itself out on the trip yesterday. But not sure.

advice?? $650 is a lot of money for me what would you do in this situation guys thanks

this is odd for sure. the seal in the water pump is a spring loaded seal, called a mechanical seal..  stop leak is a no-no.. so is $650.00 for the pump.  can you not buy PAI in your country?  do you have bearing play at the fan hub?  

as far as advice,,,  I would look at PAI, and return the gold one.  PAI wont have the pulley, so make sure you know how to change the pulley without bending the impeller ..  it's not hard..  jojo

Thanks Joey, 

I found some other brand pumps online for around $400 with 2 years warranty.

looking at this box the pump came in today, its got a sticker saying i get a $220 refund when i send my old one back. Which brings it in line with other prices.

my truck has the horton fan on it and there is no pulley on this remack pump either its got a nut on the end of the fan shaft but I’m not seeing any spline or keyway is the pulley a press fit onto this pump? Got any tips for swapping the pulleys onto the new pump?

i have a 20 tonne press and a few pullers if needed. Do you heat the pulley up or is it just a cold press on ?

thanks Joey

use a common gear puller to remove the pulley..  when you press it on the new pump,  make sure that the spindle at the impeller is what you are pressing against.  this sounds obvious, but I have to say it..  no need for 20 tons :)  use the hand pump on the press so you can see when it seats, then give it a little extra and stop.  I think nut torque is around 60 lbft..  just be sure that the spindle takes the force, not the pump housing..   jojo

• Like 1

I’m tempted to just leave this new pump in the box and do another run in the truck on Friday and see what it does. 

I havn’t put any stop leak in the system but i have drained the coolant twice and the dealer done it as well in November 2022 and replaced with mack coolant each time but there is some copper specks and brown looking goo in the bottom tank so I think the old owner has put some in there.

there is no filter in the large Y shaped radiator hose under the oil cooler as I replaced that hose once and it didnt have one in there soo i just replaced hose without it maybe 6 months ago.