California Air Resorces Board Decisions

Well, If you are a die hard owner operator with an E9, V8 CAT, KT Cummins or any sort of mechanical or electronic engine, You are faced with 3 choices. Park it, Re Power it, or stay the hell out of California. Keep in mind that whatever California comes up with, makes it over here sooner or later. What will happen to the trucks that won't measure up? They will probably go to Mexico, and come right back at us. Some of the reasoning behind this is based on junk science, not all of it. You have to see the Los Angeles basin under a smog alert to understand the magnitude of their clean air problem. What I haven't seen addressed is the antique, historical. or collector aspect. Keep your eyes open for some real deals on Hayward built models. James

Who cares about California? Many are giving up their million dollar homes and moving here. These old southern farmers never saw one hundred thousand dollars before the big expansion took place. They think that is BIG money........ WRONG. But you are right, they will soon be here. If you run an antique tag on your truck, then the USAC government is keeping those off the streets except saturdays and sundays. And most of us are not driving them enough to keep the sludge out of the engines. Sorry, I'll get off of my soap box now.

mike :angry:

:mack1:

Well Mike, in and of it's self pulling up stakes and moving to Goodlettsville, or Morganton is not such a bad thing. That is, if they leave their bad habits wherever they are coming from. Mainly, not minding their own business. I am not two old yet, to not love trucks, and they don't just have to be Macks. Trucking however, at least doing it your own way, has changed enough to be just a memory. I am not advocating a return to the past. Just to be honest I am not tough enough to go through all that s**t again. Sometimes, on a real good day, I still think I could take a load of air freight from Atlanta to LAX in 36 to 38 hrs. As for what the state of California thinks of me, I could care less. I could rip California out of my atlas and it wouldn't matter. I'm not going back. It would probably be a good thing if the automobile manufacturers would follow the lead of Caterpillar, move completely move out of California, and tell the state to build their own dang cars. Someone is going to haul freight for a buck a mile plus fuel surcharge, even if they have to strap a converter as big as a VW to their truck. It may be the Land of Fruits And Nuts, but there are also some good people who are just as enthusiastic about their AC.s B's LJ's RS's. Not to mention some fine Pete"s KW"S, Emoryville's, and others. They shouldn't fall victim to a hair brained ruling. James

There was a big discussion about this on Hank's site and someone did say that Antique plated trucks are in the clear.

Bottom line is to hell with their laws. The semi-dimwits here in NY will most likely follow their lead. After all our wonderful mayor used the bogus "think of the children" argument to try and charge exorbent fees for anyone traveling into Manhattan. They wanted 6-8 dollars for cars and upward of 26 dollars for trucks! The argument was trucks were clogging the streets and polluting along with cars causing asthma in kids. Even the MTA was against it as the subway and bus capacity is already overloaded. And the stupid f&%#@$g @#$ hole mayor thinks trucks need to be removed from the streets. Good thinking mr. retard mayor, maybe you can tell me how to get my equipment on the subway so I can get it into the city. Trucks are the backbone of this city. Moron. I hope they dont get all giddy and want to be "leaders" and bring this BS legislation to our state. We are already taxed to death here and our cities economy is in the toilet.

Screw the polititions in this country already. They helped bury our economy and let the fat cats sell us out. While we pretend to be so god damn environmentally concious the rest of the devloping world is pumping out pollutants like its going out of style. They have our means of production now. Who is to say China wont one day take over all of our factories there and steal our technology? How could we stop them? We cant and we wouldent be able to.

Worst part is the American dollar might eventually collapse. I have herd some serious apocalyptic predictions for the next year or two. I hope its nothing more then pure nonsence. Damn if what I hear is true then the weak economy is our least of concern. Arm yourselves and prepare for civil war (well maybe not that bad).

RANT off.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

The California Air Resources Board

The retrofit rule would require trucks to meet 2007 and 2010 emissions standards between 2012 and 2022, although it allows for a series of compliance options. The regulation addresses both diesel particulate matter and oxides of nitrogen.

Fleets of up to three vehicles are exempt from the rule’s engine performance requirements in 2010 and 2011. That means that by the end of 2013 one truck from those small companies must be at least a 2004 model (with diesel particulate filter) in order to comply with 2007 emissions standards. Additional emissions standards depend on the number of trucks in the fleet. Details can be found at www.arb.ca.gov.

A company with three or fewer trucks would then upgrade engines for the rest of its trucks between 2014 and 2022.

Before the plan was discussed, Mary Nichols, CARB chairman, acknowledged the heavy cost to private businesses during the recent economic crisis of the two rules.

“Implementing the regulations will require a substantial investment on behalf of the many businesses that will be affected,” Nichols said. “We know that today’s economy is in a slump. “But we also know that we have to keep in mind that the first enforcement will not occur until 2010, and we hope that any recovery is well under way at that time.”

CARB estimates it will cost the trucking industry approximately $5.5 billion to fully comply with the retrofit rule.

Nichols said CARB wants to increase its funding support for truck replacement grants and loans beyond the current $1 billion. The current loan/grant program does not include funding for out-of-state trucks, which are subject to the regulation.

CARB’s $1 billion in grants and loans isn’t enough to help small-business truckers, Rajkovacz said.

“While ARB says they believe that supplying financial assistance to in-state motor carriers will soften the blow of this regulation, there is simply not enough money to go around, particularly when one considers that California’s state government is running ‘hat in hand’ to Washington D.C. for its own bail-out.

“There will be winners, but many more losers,” he said. “Long-haul interstate truckers based outside of California will be expected to comply with the regulation on their own dime.”

In Sacramento on Thursday and Friday, more than 150 individuals signed up to make public comments before the board about its retrofit rule, spurring Nichols to ask the public to keep repetitive statements to a minimum.

Several owner-operators and construction companies said the rule’s heavy expense to small businesses would hurt California’s economy. Environmentalists made impassioned pleas to implement the rule as soon as possible, while several truckers said they were personally offended at being blamed for California’s dirty air.

Dennis Downing of Apple Valley, CA, said he’s part of a three-generation trucking family that is concerned whether they’ll be able to stay in business because of the rule’s ban of old trucks.

“We are truckers, but we are also Californians, and we want clean air, too,” Downing said.

One driver was cut off in mid-sentence by Nichols when his time ran out, who said simply, “You’re through.”

Carol Pruitt, whose husband still works as an owner-operator, said the couple already had to sell her truck when the economy soured during this past year. Her husband was dismayed to find out he’ll have to upgrade his 2004-year engine model truck.

Pruitt said CARB’s study looking at the cancer-causing effects of diesel particulate matter among truck drivers may have overlooked an important characteristic.

“Everyone is always blaming the trucks or truckers. But how many of the 31,000 Teamsters in the survey are smokers or former smokers?” Pruitt asked.

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM