New Guy

rsmartyn

Hi Guys, My name is Bob Martyn and I'm glad I stumbled across this web site. Here's the important stuff -

I bought a 1961 B61T tractor in 1983 and have been driving it ever since with only one trip home on a wrecker's hook after a really bad accident that would have put a lesser truck in the junk yard and me in the hospital. She's a single axle with a huge Eaton split rear (the only one like it the Mack people tell me), a TR720 5 speed trans and powered by an END673 with no blower. The first owner pulled a tank trailer with it, the second owner moved heavy equipment with a low bed trailer and I'm the third owner. I pulled off the fifth wheel and put an 8 yard dump body on it and at first pulled a 9 ton equipment trailer but now have a 20 ton trailer also. Without a doubt this truck is the best thing I've ever owned in my life and when I die I just might be buried in it. There are so many stories I can post after 23 years of proud ownership but I'll just tell you two of my favorites. In '90 I had a cast on my left forearm and hand which made driving a B with no power steering difficult but so what. The engine quit on me with a clogged fuel filter (my fault entirely). With no one to call for help, I put a plastic bag over my hand, dumped out the filter can and banged the element on the curb. After I put it back together and pumped the primer she fired right up and got me home! Try that with a new Granite. Another favorite was a few years later while fueling up. A new Kenworth all decked out with a loaded dump trailer pulled up behind me but sitting on an incline. He ran out of fuel and couldn't switch over to the other tank which was 1/2 full. I offered to pull him up to the pumps which he doubted my old Mack could do telling me he was 80,000 lbs. I told him that if the tires will grip the pavement, my old B will pull him up there which it did no problem. He got out, cursing his new KW not believing that my old Mack didn't even work hard dragging him. Enough of my rambling. I'd appreciate whatever help I can get from this site to keep this great old truck on the road and not a museum piece and in turn, whatever help I can offer to any of you guys just ask. By the way, the B is nicknamed "Baby Skiddle" and I'll post photos when I can figure out how.

Bob Martyn & Baby Skiddle

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

Hi Guys, My name is Bob Martyn and I'm glad I stumbled across this web site. Here's the important stuff -

I bought a 1961 B61T tractor in 1983 and have been driving it ever since with only one trip home on a wrecker's hook after a really bad accident that would have put a lesser truck in the junk yard and me in the hospital. She's a single axle with a huge Eaton split rear (the only one like it the Mack people tell me), a TR720 5 speed trans and powered by an END673 with no blower. The first owner pulled a tank trailer with it, the second owner moved heavy equipment with a low bed trailer and I'm the third owner. I pulled off the fifth wheel and put an 8 yard dump body on it and at first pulled a 9 ton equipment trailer but now have a 20 ton trailer also. Without a doubt this truck is the best thing I've ever owned in my life and when I die I just might be buried in it. There are so many stories I can post after 23 years of proud ownership but I'll just tell you two of my favorites. In '90 I had a cast on my left forearm and hand which made driving a B with no power steering difficult but so what. The engine quit on me with a clogged fuel filter (my fault entirely). With no one to call for help, I put a plastic bag over my hand, dumped out the filter can and banged the element on the curb. After I put it back together and pumped the primer she fired right up and got me home! Try that with a new Granite. Another favorite was a few years later while fueling up. A new Kenworth all decked out with a loaded dump trailer pulled up behind me but sitting on an incline. He ran out of fuel and couldn't switch over to the other tank which was 1/2 full. I offered to pull him up to the pumps which he doubted my old Mack could do telling me he was 80,000 lbs. I told him that if the tires will grip the pavement, my old B will pull him up there which it did no problem. He got out, cursing his new KW not believing that my old Mack didn't even work hard dragging him. Enough of my rambling. I'd appreciate whatever help I can get from this site to keep this great old truck on the road and not a museum piece and in turn, whatever help I can offer to any of you guys just ask. By the way, the B is nicknamed "Baby Skiddle" and I'll post photos when I can figure out how.

Bob Martyn & Baby Skiddle

Bob, sounds like you got yourself a keeper. That old dog is just like mans best friend faithful to the end,Tim :thumb:

great stories Bob! love to hear all the stuff others have done with there trucks. Most of us here have these funny stories to tell also and it always gives me a laugh..

To post a pic scroll down to the bottom of the page and find the file attachment. then clic on browse to search your file. double click on your file you want. then click "add this attachment"

after you figure that out you can start a photo album and save your pics there for all to see.

great to have you aboard Bob!!

Trent Blasco

great stories Bob! love to hear all the stuff others have done with there trucks. Most of us here have these funny stories to tell also and it always gives me a laugh..

To post a pic scroll down to the bottom of the page and find the file attachment. then clic on browse to search your file. double click on your file you want. then click "add this attachment"

after you figure that out you can start a photo album and save your pics there for all to see.

Trent Blasco

Trent Blasco

Trent Blasco

Hi Trent, Thanks for the good words and info on postig photos and I apologize for screwing up my reply (I had to get my wife to help me figure it out). It's a beautiful warm sunday here in NJ and I'm going outside to work on the "B". I've got problems with that old brittle wiring and am trying to get a little more time out of her while I send my DM686SX into the body shop for a face lift. The DM's a tandem dump and does most of the heavy lifting now but the "B" is far from retirement still running strong and turning heads pulling a load down the road. This summer I plan on redoing the cab & paint but have to do the DM first (my "new" truck is a 1979 and the cab needs to be redone first!) Anyway while I'm out there I'll take a digital picture of them and use your advice to post the photo. thanks, Bob Martyn

Trent Blasco