Checking MP8 Engine oil level

jwmcgregor

We have 4 MP8 and 1 D13 in our fleet.   We struggle to simply check the engine oil level...even when cold and sat over night on all these MP8\D13's.   Dipstick tube's seem to hold oil and make reading level on the stick difficult.  Given the injector issues we've had with these engines and dealing with fuel in the engine oil we have become pretty sensitive to the issue.    Have one now that appears to be over full of engine oil...Oil off the dipstick passes the HALO test.   No bubbles in the fuel tank when truck is running.   Oil does not smell fuel or seem to be diluted.  My tech tool (TEXA) does not give me any feedback that I can find from the oil level sensor in the oil pan.  Think Diesel Fuel Die would show up in the oil if they are mixing? 

Is there a way to get these dipsticks and tubes to work properly and show a nice clean oil level on these engines?   My dealer is useless..

Edited by jwmcgregor

How about pulling the dipstick, wiping it off and putting it back in? Then read it to see if there is a difference in the oil level. l have had a couple motors l had to do this to. One that does it now is my 18 hp B&S in a Craftsman mower.    .....Hippy

• Like 1

I never go by the reading when first taking out a dipstick. car/truck or even the JD 318 mower. especially the JD. tractor sits all night in shed - am pull oil stick ; check it ; wipe clean reinsert / recheck level is slightly different. don't know why. seems sitting all night same as recheck :: nope . doesn't seem likely a vacuum condition could exist. which is reason I put forward the though of removing dipstick partial or fully  = recheck in am or when ever unit is going to be started.

• Like 1