Fuel gauge quits working when engine started. 2003 Mack CH613

I had problems with the gauge being non working most of the time and some other gauges dropping out intermittently while driving, so I bought a new instrument cluster and moved my gauges to it.  Now it seems the other gauges work but the fuel gauge reads correctly with the key on but the engine off and then when I start the engine, the gauge drops to zero, like it lost power or something.  I can shut the engine off and turn the key back on and it will read correctly again until I start the engine back up.

Any ideas on what could be shutting off the power to the gauge circuit???

if the sender is grounded to the tank, it may not be grounded to the truck..  because of the tank strap insulators.  just for kicks, hook a jumper cable to the fuel cap or cross over valve and to the frame or neg. on the battery and see if it clears up..  Just having a little fun with this one,,   Jojo

On 9/3/2023 at 9:05 PM, Joey Mack said:

if the sender is grounded to the tank, it may not be grounded to the truck..  because of the tank strap insulators.  just for kicks, hook a jumper cable to the fuel cap or cross over valve and to the frame or neg. on the battery and see if it clears up..  Just having a little fun with this one,,   Jojo

I'll try that. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2023 at 8:41 PM, Joey Mack said:

If it is the newer plastic sender, check to see if it's wired backwards.  It's not the key switch.. other things would be jacked up..

When I got the truck they gave me a new float/sender.  It only has one wire feed to the wiring harness and one that grounds to the tank.  I'm still thinking there might be something in the switch as the gauge works when first turned on but quits if you start the engine.  Couldn't the switch not resend power to the fuel gauge after starting?  I was thinking all power went to the starter while starting and then returned to normal after starting----but I could be wrong on that too.