E7 misfire

Jtm454

Have a Mack e7 dropped a valve we pulled it apart found the piston beat up decided to overhaul, we also found the cylinder that dropped the valve had Chunked a lobe in the cam, we replaced the cam and cam bushings timed by the book, two reman heads from Mack put it all back together we have a misfire, and a uneven crank you can tell a cylinder is dead have rechecked rack adjustment several times unsure where to go from here but has a noticeable drop out when cranking reman Mack cylinder packs, im thinking may have a ring issue, not sure if I’m over looking something somewhere any help is appreciated thanks 

We did do valve adjustments strictly by the book, and haven’t attempted cracking the fuel lines we just remove one wire per unit pump was hard to tell any difference at all, and yes the engine does have engine brakes 

On 7/15/2023 at 7:51 AM, Joey Mack said:

what year is the engine, you posted E-7, but EUP's are in E-Techs, CCRS, and ASET..  Im glad you followed the book.  engine brakes?

The engine is a 2005 I was under the assumption it was an e tech, it does have engine brakes, I know a bad injector could cause a misfire but could it cause what seems to be a loss in compression?? This truck has been an absolute nightmare, it was taken apart by another mechanic that went awol after getting it apart so we had to piece this entire thing back together several pieces were mismatched and robbed to be used on other trucks, and from what we have now learned we believe an injector was taken from the parts pile and used in another truck that had a bad one so we are assuming we know we have at least one bad injector in there, I’ve purchased the compression testing tools so we will have it out anyways, 

On 7/15/2023 at 7:51 AM, Joey Mack said:

what year is the engine, you posted E-7, but EUP's are in E-Techs, CCRS, and ASET..  Im glad you followed the book.  engine brakes?

Sorry I missed the specifics on the engine I could get a serial number if needed any input appreciated it at least gives us some ideas 

ok,  Are you new to this series engine..  The lifters in this engine have ceramic rollers, and can crack with light shock loads.  for example: when you are installing the rocker shafts, and a push rod isnt lined up correctly and ''pop's'' into place..  that shock can crack a roller. A compression test is a good idea.  can you drop the oil pan and inspect the cam shaft..  if a roller is broken, it will be in the pan when you drop it..  

• Like 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

no need for the specs, I know what you have now.  its either an AC or an AI engine..  what chassis is it?

It is a cv713 chassis the cam and lifters have all been replaced 

1 hour ago, fjh said:

If you have bad compression I think it would be smoking! Do you have  blue white smoke or excessive blo by? if not go with the bad injector theory!

That’s the weird thing I have absolutely no blow by no weird noticeable smoke we didn’t run it for long after we noticed the issue due to obvious concerns 

Yup good thought Joe ! That said had this happen many times ! Shit got in the injector on installing of the line just my observation! AC engine particularly bad for this because of all the crap in the way !Replace the injector! Good to go! Cylinder not getting fuel! 
just sayin!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1