New clutch in 85 MH613 with maxitorque. seems aligned right but not going into any gears when turned on? Possible shift linkage not back right?

Ryon Hess

Question

9 answers to this question

Does the shifter feel different than before? And what happens when you try to put it in gear does it grind or does it do nothing at all? Could be that the forks internal to the transmission are broken or misaligned if the transmission is a different one or has been rebuilt. Had that happen once on a pickup. Best of luck

Could also be your throw out bearing. Sometimes they get damaged when you reinstall the transmission and can cause the clutch to not disengage. Might try just greasing it and seeing if that helps.

I would put the transmission in gear with the engine off then with the clutch pushed in start the engine to see if your clutch is working at all. It won't work if its in a shop but I've freed up some stuck clutches that way before. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOBWhite said:

Does the shifter feel different than before? And what happens when you try to put it in gear does it grind or does it do nothing at all? Could be that the forks internal to the transmission are broken or misaligned if the transmission is a different one or has been rebuilt. Had that happen once on a pickup. Best of luck

Grinds.  Feels the same but also trying to get shift linkage in perfect spot so feels a bit different kinda. Friend was saying could just be clutch brake had a little more adjusting 

Does the clutch have an internal adjustment that may not have been done?  That or the throwout bearing sounds most likely.  Doing what Bob said will eliminate the issue being the adjustment on the clutch brake.  If doing what he said allows you to sit still, in gear, with the clutch in, then the clutch is releasing.  If it tries to move with the clutch in, then the clutch is not releasing...for one reason or another.

Gotta start somewhere...right?!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

With clutch in it jumps forward in gear. Will go in gear with truck off and then when it starts immediately jumps forward with clutch in. thanks for reply. Has been adjusted a ton. Thinking maybe linkage or something with clutch brake. Definitely don’t want to have to pull tranny again if can help it 😂

Clutch brake is out of the equation . That's not to do with a dragging clutch based on your test..  I'm sorry, but if you exhausted all external possibilities,  I would think a disc is in backwards..  I do have a crazy thought.. I believe it is a dog dish flywheel, if so, is the pressure plate flange thinner than the old one,  the area where the bolts go through?

Edited by Joey Mack
Pour sperring
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Clutch brake is out of the equation . That's not to do with a dragging clutch based on your test..  I'm sorry, but if you exhausted all external possibilities,  I would think a disc is in backwards..  I do have a crazy thought.. I believe it is a dog dish flywheel, if so, is the pressure plate flang thinner than the old one,  the area where the bolts go through?

Thanks, if this is the case. If pressure plate is thinner then what would fix that scenario? Maybe flywheel needs machining also. Don’t think that was done. 

ok, now you post a new piece of info..  If the fly wheel was not machined, I guarantee it is not flat and the outer edges are 'high' and the inner diameter is 'low',,  like a dinner plate..  the clutch will drag on the outer perimeter.  (never mind my asking about the pressure plate) clutch pressure is applied from the center -out against the flywheel..  The outer edge doesnt see the same wear and pressure as does the center..  Your flywheel is probably not 'flat'..  sorry sir.. Jojo

• Like 1