Dashboard Lighting - MH613

Happy New Year, Everyone!   Pictured below is the HVAC and Air Brake Controls panel from my 85' Ultraliner, and you'll see the "ribbon" that provides lighting for all the instrument indicators.  This ribbon and a couple of others from the other indicator lights on the panels for the gauges are all connected to a circular connector with a bulb in the middle of it.    Was this some type of fiberglass ribbon that would carry the light to the indicators?    It feels like cloth, not wire.   Any idea how this works, and if this ribbon/tape is still available anywhere?   Thanks > Joe

20230109_132651.jpg

Wow!   Very early fiber optics.   Can't imagine they were very bright - the light source was a standard mini bulb.   I've been looking, and the good news is that I have three options for replacement: 1) 12V side glow fiber optic cable; 2) 3V Flexible LED filament wire (most likely too bright), or 3) LED strip lights (also probably too bright).   I'll try the fiber optic stuff - I can get the cable as small as 1mm, so I'll have to playwith the brightness.    More pics to follow.   Thanks, JM and RD!   > Joe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JJM_Mack said:

Wow!   Very early fiber optics.   Can't imagine they were very bright - the light source was a standard mini bulb.   I've been looking, and the good news is that I have three options for replacement: 1) 12V side glow fiber optic cable; 2) 3V Flexible LED filament wire (most likely too bright), or 3) LED strip lights (also probably too bright).   I'll try the fiber optic stuff - I can get the cable as small as 1mm, so I'll have to playwith the brightness.    More pics to follow.   Thanks, JM and RD!   > Joe

Actually they were decently bright if the fibers were good. I drove a 1995 Peterbilt 379 and the dash lights were well lit and decent. As the fibers start wearing out or losing their optic Power they git dim.