[New BMT Blog Entry] other dog's Blog - Slow,slow,slow

WattsMack

Only got in one trip this week, was supposed to go to Negley, Ohio monday but went to Fremont instead. Had to untarp one pallet at a time in the pouring rain so it wouldn't get any wetter than it already was. Then I went to Brookfield to load and there was 4 trucks ahead of me at door 12. Got there at 3 o'clock and left at 8. Didn't really matter though. I unloaded about noon Wednesday in Roanoke and was done for the week until I went to Moneta today and loaded treated lumber for Erie, Pa. I wouldn't leave until late Sunday, or maybe Monday morning, because of the Cumberland county Christmas parade, but it's so slow i'm just gonna have to miss it this year and get on up to Erie. First one i've missed since I've had the mixer, and won a trophy every time. But times are tight, gotta go-can't eat those trophies!

And speaking of the mixer, I started it Wednesday and it looked like there was a piece of clear plastic laying on the hood. I got out to get it off and unfortunately it was not a piece of plastic but the clear-coat peeling off in big sheets. My theory is that when I waxed it I waxed through the clear coat and a little moisture seeped in, then it froze and pulled it loose from the base coat. Never had any problem 'til I waxed it, so I assume that's what happened. Looks terrible now anyway. Might try to peel the clear-coat off and wax it, if that doesn't work too good I might have to repaint the hood. Someday, that is-right now I couldn't afford a can of krylon.

View the full blog entry

And speaking of the mixer, I started it Wednesday and it looked like there was a piece of clear plastic laying on the hood. I got out to get it off and unfortunately it was not a piece of plastic but the clear-coat peeling off in big sheets. My theory is that when I waxed it I waxed through the clear coat and a little moisture seeped in, then it froze and pulled it loose from the base coat. Never had any problem 'til I waxed it, so I assume that's what happened. Looks terrible now anyway. Might try to peel the clear-coat off and wax it, if that doesn't work too good I might have to repaint the hood. Someday, that is-right now I couldn't afford a can of krylon.

View the full blog entry

Naw, your wax job had nothing to do with it but rather UV radiation from sun exposure has caused the basecoat to "kick off" the clearcoat. This action is caused by the breakdown of the UV screeners in the clearcoat. The basecoat is now poisoned as it does not contain screeners. This in turn rejects the clearcoat. The clearcoat unfortunatly comes off in sheets.

If you blow another coat on top of the existing finish, you will get to do it again in about six months. The existing finish must be removed to do a proper job. The main drawback to leaving it as is: The basecoat is not solid but permeable. Moisture will penetrate the basecoat, and underlying primer, (which is also permeable) and the steel substrate will rust under all the paint.

Need to either get the unit inside, or get it painted to avoid this decay.

Ya know, it sure seems like I've done that a time or two.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Naw, your wax job had nothing to do with it but rather UV radiation from sun exposure has caused the basecoat to "kick off" the clearcoat. This action is caused by the breakdown of the UV screeners in the clearcoat. The basecoat is now poisoned as it does not contain screeners. This in turn rejects the clearcoat. The clearcoat unfortunatly comes off in sheets.

If you blow another coat on top of the existing finish, you will get to do it again in about six months. The existing finish must be removed to do a proper job. The main drawback to leaving it as is: The basecoat is not solid but permeable. Moisture will penetrate the basecoat, and underlying primer, (which is also permeable) and the steel substrate will rust under all the paint.

Need to either get the unit inside, or get it painted to avoid this decay.

Ya know, it sure seems like I've done that a time or two.

Rob

thanks Rob,looks like paint in the future,as I have no place to store it inside.It's been sitting outdoors for the last 4 or 5 yrs. at least.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

thanks Rob,looks like paint in the future,as I have no place to store it inside.It's been sitting outdoors for the last 4 or 5 yrs. at least.

If funding is the drawback, your idea with a can of Krylon is a good idea for a temporary barrier.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

peel the clear coat off and krylon it you mean?

I would 320 grit on a D/A sander and "peel" the clear back till it has a firm bind between the base and clear. Eventually the clear will feather back and then spray paint on top of everything. This is half assed as hell but if the hood starts to rust underneath the coating(s), and it is not stripped down and removed at a later date, new, fresh paint will never adhere acceptably well.

Something you could do is to load the mixer on a lowboy and haul it over to my place in central Illinois. There are at least four Peterbilt repair facilities between your place and mine, so you would get here eventually.....

Rob

I would 320 grit on a D/A sander and "peel" the clear back till it has a firm bind between the base and clear. Eventually the clear will feather back and then spray paint on top of everything. This is half assed as hell but if the hood starts to rust underneath the coating(s), and it is not stripped down and removed at a later date, new, fresh paint will never adhere acceptably well.

Something you could do is to load the mixer on a lowboy and haul it over to my place in central Illinois. There are at least four Peterbilt repair facilities between your place and mine, so you would get here eventually.....

Rob

only 4? I don't know, i'd better do more research and plan my route so there'll be one about every 50 or 60 miles, just in case...

wish I could find a good straight hood so cheap i'd think I stole it, then i'd go ahead and paint the top of it black too, like I wanted to do at first.

only 4? I don't know, i'd better do more research and plan my route so there'll be one about every 50 or 60 miles, just in case...

I was being POSITIVE!! After giving this some thought it is probably better to err on the side of caution so I agree with you.

Pop that hood off, knock the hinge pins out of the edges and stainless strip down the center, and ship it to me. I can make it black a lot cheaper than the cost of a single repair bill.

Be sure to tarp the engine. You would have the hood back in about a week.

Rob

I was being POSITIVE!!

Pop that hood off, knock the hinge pins out of the edges and stainless strip down the center, and ship it to me. I can make it black a lot cheaper than the cost of a single repair bill.

Be sure to tarp the engine. You would have the hood back in about a week.

Rob

I cain't, don't have a shipping address.

I think you just dont want me to show up for Christmas dinner!

I cain't, don't have a shipping address.

I think you just dont want me to show up for Christmas dinner!

Auto Affair Inc.

33545 N. IL Rt. 78

Farmington, IL 61531

309-219-2070

Now you do.

I'll fresh butcher the daughters' Lab.

"Slab of Lab" is one of my favorite dinners no matter what the season.

Rob

Auto Affair Inc.

33545 N. IL Rt. 78

Farmington, IL 61531

309-219-2070

Now you do.

I'll fresh butcher the daughters' Lab.

"Slab of Lab" is one of my favorite dinners no matter what the season.

Rob

Thank you...and send me that recipe, in case I find a hound.