99 CL no reverse lights

Hello,

So I stalled my 99 CL713 in high range reverse the other day. Now I don't have any reverse lights.  The light on the dash to indicate that the truck is in reverse is working which would indicate that it is not the sensor on the transmission. Am I correct about this? Does anyone know of some simple things to check before tearing apart the wire loom? Do the reverse lights on a 99 go through a light control module like they do on more modern trucks? Thanks.

at the rear of the frame, there is the 4 wire harness that goes to the tail light harness.. the is a square duetch connector in the left corner of the frame rail. on that harness should be a single 'bullet' type wire and plug sticking out of the harness by itself. That is the reverse light wire..  check to see if it is dissconnected, and also put the tranny in rev. with the key on and check for power.  I assume you had a back up alarm, and it went out too...  ??  jojo

Hi JoJo,

Thanks for your response. I did check that four wire harness out. I didn't see anything disconnected. I did back probe all four wires and the reverse lights were the only ones that I was unable to get power out of (even with the key on and transmission in reverse).  The truck does not have a back-up alarm. Any idea whether one of the circuit breakers is for the reverse lights? and if so which one it would be? Thanks.

I didn't see anything like the plug you're describing. Of course, a lot of things are different than factory back there since the frame was extended for a log body. But there is a splice in the wires near where the frame was extended, and I couldn't get any current for the reverse lights even before that splice. I saw one photo of a VMACIII circuit protection key that shows #42 being "Back-Up Lps." on a 20A fuse. is that a whole separate fuse box from the cab circuit protection? Thanks.

fuse 42 is on the firewall next to the steering column..  its a 5x6" black box.  the ledgend  is inside the cover.  hopefully it not all blurry. I guess I should have said that first, I just figured you checked it..    :)