2005 mack cv713 427I engine marker and headlights not working

Hello guys, I need help with a 2005 mack granite cv713 427I, the other day marker lights where staying on all the time with the switch off obviously and there is a fuse that it is for the battery start I think I'm not exactly sure what is that fuse for, but that fuse blow up and every time it was replaced it it keep on blowing it up so we let that alone and keep on searching for any visible issues on the wiring but didn't found anything other then the fuse, today marker lights and headlights won't even turn on at all and the fuse isn't blowing up anymore I don't know if that fuse is related to the lights but I don't want to mess anything up so I decided to look for your help in diagnosing the problem, thanks in advance any help is greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

so after 4 weeks now, has anything changed?  I suggest you post the current symptoms, so that we can try to help.  I assume you inspected the the wire harness under the hood for damage.  anywhere the wires run through a 'p' clamp, there could damage from rubbing.  there are 2 square plugs up front at the steering box, check them..  also, if the lights are on, pull 1 fuse at a time until they go out, record the fuse #, and keep going until all fuses have been checked.  ( put each fuse right back in after pulling it) . there is a few relays behind the right dash panel, that need to be checked.  pull the DRL relay to see if the lights work correctly.  You can also swap a relay with the head light relay to see if the problem stops, if so, replace the relay..  A visual inspection of the wiring is going to be the 1st thing, and probably the best way to find the issue.  you may have a bad ground, that wont let the lights come on...  Lots to talk about with wiring issues...  jojo

Thank you for your reply Joey Mack, and yes we fix the problem, we check all that stuff you mentioned and all looked good but we ended up replacing the running day lights relay but what we found is that the fuse box that is at the engine compartment on the firewall, is that it had corrosion and we cleaned everything really good and that solve the issue but I don't know if that was the problem or the relay but most likely that was it. Thanks again Joey for your help I appreciate it.

But I have an issue with another cv713 427 I , I was replacing a fuel injector line just now and I noticed that the tubing that goes inside the head had oil in it I hope you can help in what is wrong with it.

run it a while and check it again.. there shouldnt be oil, just diesel.. did you check the torque on the injector hold down nut under the valve cover  45-50 lbft..  jojo

when you remove the valve cover there will be an allen headed plug right above the injector. dont take it out, just tighten it. if it moves, that may be the leak, and you will need to re-oring the injector..  if you have a power leash engine brake, be aware that the wire under the valve cover is short, so be careful lifting the cover... jojo

hopefully it is, otherwise we will be looking for a crack in the head. Have you ever been under the valve cover?  are you doing the work or someone else? 

I hope that's not the issue because that's what I thought too of a crack on the head, I was planning in doing it it my self but maybe I take it to the dealer because mechanics around here don't know much about mack me neither but if it's easy enough I could do it my self if I have the right tools any advice on how could I fix it what tools I might need?.

you can do this..  the plug may be allen headed, if you dont have an allen wrench that big, you can make one with a short bolt and 2 nuts, jam the nuts down tight then smash the exposed threads with a hammer.. this way you can use a socket wrench to check the plug.  the plug is located between the 4 valves on the cylinder.  no need to remove the rocker arm assembly. jojo

if it is loose, you will need to re ring the injector...  all you do is remove the fuel line, then the plug, then find a 3" long or longer bolt to screw into the top of the injector and pull it out..  when its out, there will be 2 rubber orings on the upper half, and a metal oring on the nozzle end.. if the metal one is not there, pick it out of the injector bore..   clean and inspect the bore..  inspect the injector, if all is good . re-ring the injector, and use the bolt to install the injector,by gently tapping it into the bore..  there will be a notch to line up, its easy to see. When you put the orings on, lube them lightly, I put a spot of white grease on the metal oring to hold it to the injector when installing it. seat the inject, put the plug back in and torque to 45-50 lbft.  then install the fuel line.  the other cylinders will hold prime, so just start it up and it will clear out in a few seconds..  be sure to inspect the bores and clean them out during the repair..  

Ok thank you very much I really appreciate your help Joey Mack I will buy the o ring kit and fix it, but just to be clear this could fix the oil leak? Or the injector doesn't have nothing to do with it?

if the plug is loose it also allows the injector to move,  suction from the intake stroke can draw oil in, and pressure from the compression stroke and power stroke can push the oil into the fuel line bore..  

Ok thank you very much i appreciate you Joey Mack, thank you for your time and knowledge I will try and fix it and I'll post later to let yall know what happened thanks again have a nice and bless weekend .

• Like 1

Good morning Joey I have a cuestion regarding the oil leak through the injector line, how can disconnect the Jake brake wire ? Do I have to unscrew the nut on the the side if the valve cover or from the inside ? And also do you know the torque spec of valve cover? I hope you can help me with this suff thanks in advance.

Yes that's the way I disconnect it thank you and I'm sorry to bother but I just wanted to make sure so I didn't damage anything because I'm not familiar with this engine, I want to thank you very much Joey Mack for your help, I just finished the repairs and what it ended up being wrong and causing the oil leak was the upper O Ring the big one it was teared apart, and that's how the oil was zipping into the injector bore down the cylinder and through the fuel line out the head.

• Like 1

Jajaja yes I am working right now and it stopped leaking oil it's fixed, but another issue there's blue smoke out the exhaust I assume it's the oil that leaked inside the cylinder but it's smoking blue smoke more than it used to even tha I already fixed the oil leak it only smoke at idle at and when I'm shifting the firts gears not all the time but it does smoke I'm confused do you have any ideas of what could it be?

How much smoke are you talking about?  There can be a few reasons, does the over board breather puff heavily?  if so, chances of worn piston rings is likely the cause. is the air compressor, blowing oil back into the air intake duct. I believe the intake hose attaches to the intake duct after the air cleaner.. Heck, weak valve seal can cause this..  See what I mean?  Keep posting,  there are a lot of smart guys here to help you...  jojo

• Like 1