Truck shutting down intermittently

Hi, I have a 1995 CL 713 log truck with a E7 427. The truck is again shutting down on me intermittently and fires back up after cycling the key off and back on, no codes so far and from what i can tell the dash/fan keep working so i dont believe its the auxiliary relay in te dash. I had a trend on here from 2017 when I bought the truck and had the problem, I ended up putting a fuel injection control module in it and it did not do it till this week again. 

I'm curious if anyone has any direction for me again this time. If I am run I am running the loader with the truck at 900rpms, cruise control on, it has cut off and came back to idle before it died completely. 

If it was a sensor I believe it would throw a light and code first, it doesn't skip like a damaged wire it definitely dies like you are turning the key off. 

And insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

My guess is you have Robert Bosch electric injection pump.... If so.. when you are back to the yard, while it is idling, check the quality of the pins in the gray deutch plug on the governor housing by wiggling the plug and its wires at both ends. gently pull each wire as if you were trying to pull it out of the plug. I have seen many times were the pins get loose and sometimes, one will slide in the plug and barely be touching.  especially if the plug has been repaired before or is not secured in the clips with zip ties... jojo

23 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

My guess is you have Robert Bosch electric injection pump.... If so.. when you are back to the yard, while it is idling, check the quality of the pins in the gray deutch plug on the governor housing by wiggling the plug and its wires at both ends. gently pull each wire as if you were trying to pull it out of the plug. I have seen many times were the pins get loose and sometimes, one will slide in the plug and barely be touching.  especially if the plug has been repaired before or is not secured in the clips with zip ties... jojo

Hi Jojo, I appreciate the response and I will look that over again. I have looked at it and wiggled it all over and never got it to do anything to the truck while running. I have had no lights come on this time that it has started acting up. The only other thing it has done, I went to start it the other day and it didn't crank, just clicked like the solenoid on the starter clicked, I cycled the key off and it fired no problem the second try. I could try a new engine shutdown relay that sends power to the fuel actuator in the injection pump. I also want to locate the ground wire from the engine shutdown relay. 

22 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

check the accessory relay in the dash, you should here a loud click when you turn the key on.. find that relay and clean and tighten the contacts... jojo

I replaced that a few years ago, and I always listen for that click, I have good voltage going through it, that's also one of the first things I check. 

the wires on the truck side of the plug tend to rot and break down.... a gentle tug of each wire up the harness in different spots may reveal a fray. hopefully it will just break and then you can fix it an roll on..  jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
Poor spelling

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

the wires on the truck side of the plug tend to rot and break down.... a gentle tug of each wire up the harness in different spots may reveal a fray. hopefully it will just break and then you can fix it an roll on..  jojo

Is that the rpm sensor? I have always had a flicker in my rpm Guage

On 2/16/2022 at 7:49 AM, Joey Mack said:

yes  

Today it did it again and threw codes 6-2 and 6-3, exactly the same as it did 4 years ago. I let the truck sit for a couple mins with the key on, the electronic Malfunction light went out and it fired up. It doest ever start until the electronic Malfunction light goes out. 

So I looked at the wire diagram more and pulled of the fuse that sends power to the bosch (fuel injection control) module, turned the key on and had blink codes 6-2 and 6-3, identical to when it shuts off. So I figure I either have a junk module again or I'm losing power to the module. Given the fact that it's been fine for 4 years now acting up I'm leaning towards the module which pisses me off! 

You seem to have a damn good skill set..  I wonder if there is a bad spot in the wiring to the injection pump..  I assume you have checked them, Do you have an E-7 book?  if not, i do and can try to find the flow chart to fix this issue...  jojo

1 minute ago, Joey Mack said:

You seem to have a damn good skill set..  I wonder if there is a bad spot in the wiring to the injection pump..  I assume you have checked them, Do you have an E-7 book?  if not, i do and can try to find the flow chart to fix this issue...  jojo

I wonder about a bad wire or the connector at the module but then I remember how a new module 4 years ago instantly solved the issue and now it's coming back. The only thing I can think of is I have another issue somewhere that fried my first module and has now done the same to this one 4 years later(I don't know enough to know what could cause that) but it's identical to the issues with the previous module. 

I have a wire diagram and the v-mac book for troubleshooting blink codes and all that but that's all I have.

I also pulled the plug apart at the injection pump and it threw 2 separate codes from what I experience so I think I can rule any of that wiring out. And I pulled the fuse to the v-mac module and I couldn't check the codes because the electronic Malfunction light and shutdown light was on. 

OK.  I am curious why you may need another FIC module..  but.... if that what gets you going for a few years,  then I guess that's it..  You have one hell of a truck!!!  Keep it rollin... :) jojo

33 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

OK.  I am curious why you may need another FIC module..  but.... if that what gets you going for a few years,  then I guess that's it..  You have one hell of a truck!!!  Keep it rollin... :) jojo

Honestly I'm at a loss of ideas. Code 6-2 is a proprietary data line and 6-3 is a sae/Ata serial line. I want to rule everything out before getting a fic module. I'm looking at my book now and 6-2 code will come up with injection timing, 6-3 will come up with speed control ( I've only been noticing the truck "hiccup" or shutoff when the speedcontrol is in the on position.) This is driving me crazy, I'm on my own local Mack dealer useless.

12 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

have you set the sensor in the flywheel housing correctly?  all the way in til it touches, then 1 turn out...? same for the speed sensor at the tranny tail shaft...   jojo

I have not but I can tomorrow, a friend is letting me use his shop for the day to look over the truck. Today I wiggled wires on the engine side, plugs, fuzes, anything electrical. Nothing has ever duplicated the symptoms