2014 Pinnacle Service DEF Light/5mph derate

Localhauler

Hi all.  

I recently bought a 2014 Pinnacle day cab with the MP8 and Mdrive.  Yesterday while pulling a load I got 2 messages simultaneously on the info screen.  One said “low DEF quality detected, derate soon” and the other said “parked regen needed”.

Eventually the truck derated and said “Service DEF, 5mph limit next vehicle stop”.  I had to get home so I unplugged the speed sensor on the trans and limped it home.  Now today I used the blue button to force a regen which the truck is currently doing.  

My question is, could the def error be caused by a regen needing to be performed?  If not, what actions could I take to resolve the “poor def quality” and “service def” issues.  The def in the tank is new and clean and I believe the filter has been changed recently.  Thanks

Update:

The truck completed a parked regen and then both the regen message and 5mph def message were gone.  I plugged the speed sensor back in and drove it down the road and all seems well, derate is gone, back to full power.  Should I just chalk this up to the truck needing a good regen?

I need to follow this as well, 2013 i bought this year, 3 hours into first trip I had the same thing but was 45 minutes from home and it gave me 60 minutes.  Did a regen and have never had the issue again.  My 2016 has a soot gauge which is nice to see so you can tell if it needs a regen soon. We're all short hauls so tough to get a good burn some days.

Where is this speed sensor and how did that let you limp home? Did it give you your speed back?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 6:09 AM, Glensts said:

I need to follow this as well, 2013 i bought this year, 3 hours into first trip I had the same thing but was 45 minutes from home and it gave me 60 minutes.  Did a regen and have never had the issue again.  My 2016 has a soot gauge which is nice to see so you can tell if it needs a regen soon. We're all short hauls so tough to get a good burn some days.

Where is this speed sensor and how did that let you limp home? Did it give you your speed back?

If you have an Mdrive the speed sensor trick will likley not work as the trany has a brain as well needs to see speed to shift! The manual trans you have control of this  ! the vecu doesn't know the truck is moving so it won't de rate you! sensor  is on the tail end of the trans in front of the first u joint yoke! Scr derate is more viscous than dpf derate  Dangerous in my opinion  ! How ever someone dreamed up the the rule ! guess we have to live with it!

You have a perfectly driveable truck that has to crawl along  a free way at 5 mph is a tad ridiculous! a more reasonable 45mph seem more in line!

On 9/16/2021 at 8:36 AM, fjh said:

If you have an Mdrive the speed sensor trick will likley not work as the trany has a brain as well needs to see speed to shift! The manual trans you have control of this  ! the vecu doesn't know the truck is moving so it won't de rate you! sensor  is on the tail end of the trans in front of the first u joint yoke! Scr derate is more viscous than dpf derate  Dangerous in my opinion  ! How ever someone dreamed up the the rule ! guess we have to live with it!

You have a perfectly driveable truck that has to crawl along  a free way at 5 mph is a tad ridiculous! a more reasonable 45mph seem more in line!

100% Agree. "Failsafe" at 5MPH doest seem like a very safe way to fail at all.